General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

kawasaki gpx250r electrics

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 10:59 PM
1st Gear Member
Default kawasaki gpx250r electrics

hi,wondered if anyone could shed some light on this.i have been trying to get this bike going now for weeks and i am at a wall.at first i was getting an orange spark then changed the cdi,now i am getting a more whiteish than blue spark.i have checked both coils and are giving a reading of 14.4 ohms(10-16)see manual.pick up coil is reading 440(400-490)see manual.timing chain and marks all line up,sometimes and i mean sometimes rarely it sounds as if its trying to catch both sides.HELP!!!!!!!!

Old 09-20-2008, 04:01 AM
1st Gear Member

White spark is perfect, If you have the basics covered, Spark, Fuel, and Timing, then its time to move on to mechanical. I would say do a compression check dry and wet and go from there. Also any information on what it was doing before it stoped and how it stoped might help. Sounds like you may have more than one problem.

Old 09-20-2008, 09:08 AM
1st Gear Member

thanks for your reply,basically i bought the bike from someone who said it had laid up for 5 year.i have replaced the fuel,cleaned carbs,tank,the coil wires where on the wrong side when i got it.i its had a new battery,starter/solenid,plugs i have went through the wiring wd40 everything.beforehand all i was getting was just backfire,i am unsure how this vaccum pump for fuel operates.if you reckon white is okay then maybe i have a fuel problem....would the valves be okay?thanks gonna have another go today.

Old 09-20-2008, 05:13 PM
1st Gear Member

bought new ht leads today put them on,no joy....put fuel down each barrel tried again she was trying to catch both sides but eventually my battery was dying out just before it did it backfired...one day at a time.......in this case week 8

Old 09-21-2008, 01:34 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

It sounds like you know what is what, and have looked it up in your manual and have asked questions. Seen your issue earlier and was unsure and am still unsure on what it is just yet. Are you sure that you got the coil wires in the correct position? ie

the coil wires where on the wrong side when i got it

Old 09-21-2008, 03:05 PM
1st Gear Member

hi dragone,i put the coil wires on the right sides now but before it just made one almighty backfire this was the way i got it but checked manual only to find they were on the wrong coils.sorted that,today i pulled the carbs out checking choke plunger that seemed okay functioning right.took a look at the pilot screws and right hand side was screwed all the way in,the left hand side screwed out about 4/5turns.manual states 2 1/2 turns out so i cleaned them and reset to manual specs.charging battery at the moment but really don't think this will be the cause.just a catalogue of errors with this bike.....i will keep reporting if anything knew or something else comes up,thanks for your reply

Old 09-22-2008, 05:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Compression check is a must, considering you have done all external checks so far.

BUT:
The vacuum fuel valve "must " work properly. To check; pull the fuel line off at the carbs, after the valve, and crank the engine. If fuel flows, the valve is fine. If no flow, the valve should have a PRI position. PRI means prime, basically to bypass the vacuum valve for easier starting when tank is empty, and the fuel should flow fine.

If you got fuel flow, reconnect and move to compression. You can pick up a cheap tester at Harbor Freight for like $50.

Old 09-30-2008, 06:18 PM
1st Gear Member

tried again,fuel seems to be going through when i crank the engine,but there is a leak behind at the black plastic and diaphragm.when i take the plug out and spray some fuel on it it ignites no problem.put the plug in pour fuel in the head it tries to fire(as in smoke out of the two baffles)is my carbs a goner?

Old 09-30-2008, 11:36 PM
1st Gear Member

is it backfiring thru the carbs as well?

any time its doing that, i've noted theres a timing issue. possibility of valve seats leaking.. do a wet and dry comp test and a leakdown if possible to make sure they're sealing correctly..

or am i mistaken and this beast is a 2-stroke..

Old 10-01-2008, 07:55 AM
1st Gear Member

hi,no backfire through carbs as such.its 4 stroke dohc 2 cylinder i try with the choke full on turns over but nothing,if i move the choke off slighly thats when it tries to catch as in i think its igniting due to the smoke coming out the exhausts but only if i inject fuel down the carb fuel line or sometimes in the vacuum line.that is why i thought my carbs had had it.2 steps forward lost count how many back.

nice bike whitehendrix wish mine looked half as good(even started)

Quick Reply: kawasaki gpx250r electrics