General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Jet kit installation problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 04:22 AM
Default Jet kit installation problem

HI TO ALL,

I HAVE A 92 ZX6-D NINJA (CALIFORNIA MODEL)THAT IV'E HAD FOR A COUPLE OF MONTHS NOW. THIS BIKE WAS PURCHASED STOCK WITH THE EXCEPTION OF A MUZZY SLIP-ON EXHAUST, AFTER I GOT A LITTLE USE TO THE BIKE I NOTICED THAT I WAS NOT GETTING ANY THROTTLE RESPONE PAST 3/4 THROTTLE AND IT WAS TOTALLY BREAKING UP PAST THAT POINT,THE IDLE WAS ALSO HANGING @ 3-4 THOUSAND RPM'S ESPECIALLY WHEN THE BIKE REACHES NORMAL OPERATING TEMP. HAVING SOME MECHANICAL KNOWLEGE I THAUGHT THE CARBS WERE THE CULPRET,SO I BROKE THEM DOWN TO SEE WHAT WAS GOING ON AND TO GIVE THEM A GOOD CLEANING, FOUND THAT ALL THE JETTING WERE STILL FACTORY SPEC. MY THINKING WAS IF YOU ADDED AN AFTER MARKET EXHAUST YOU WOULD HAVE TO DO SOMETHING WITH THE JETTING. I BOUGHT A DYNO JET STAGE ONE KIT PART # 2142 AND INSTALLED, DYNO JET DID'NT MAKE A SPECIAL KIT FOR THE (CALI) MODEL BUT THE COMPANY SAID IT WOULD WORK, AFTER THE INSTALL MY PROBLEMS GOT A LITLE WORSE, SAME PROBLEM AS BEFORE WITH MORE ERATIC IDLEING, WORSE THROTTLE RESPONSE, THIS TIME 1/2 THROTLE TO FULL, AND SURGING. AFTER THAT IDEA FAILED I THAUGHT I WAS IN OVER MY HEAD AND TOOK THE BIKE TO A LOCAL REPAIR SHOP HERE IN SAV, GA. AFTER TALKING WITH THE OWNER HE WAS POSSITVE THAT IT WAS A CARB PROBLEM, LONG STORY SHORT HE HAS GONE THROUGH THE CARBS TWICE USING THE JET KIT AND ALSO THE FACTORY JETS. HE DID SAY IT COULD BE ELECTRICAL, MAYBE AN I.C IGNITER BUT HAS NOT BEEN ABLE TO PIN-POINTED THE CAUSE. HAS ANY ONE HAD THIS PROBLEM BEFORE PIPING AND JETTING A CALIFORNIA MODEL? COULD IT BE SOME TYPE OF REV LIMITER OR AN EXHAUST ISSUE ? ANY INSIGHT WOULD BE APPRECIATED. .............. THANKS IN ADVANCE

THIS BIKE HAS MADE ME ONE STRESSED OUT MO!

Old 11-17-2005, 05:14 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Jet kit installation problem

Cam or valve adjustment, when was the last valve adjustment?

Old 11-17-2005, 05:37 AM

I have no previos history of this bike, the bike sounds good as in no valve tap if that means any thing . The shop got the bike to run out good to mid throttle, also they did a compresion check. The valve was a concern of mine when i bought the bike because i heard a little tap but would go away as i throttled the bike, spoke with some of the pro's around town also the dealer and they said it sounded like a cam chain tensioner so i installed one and the tap went away.

Old 11-17-2005, 05:50 AM
Super Moderator

I have a loud tap on my 95 zx-7 and was going to do the valve adjustmet as well. Also the tensioner, was it hard to do. Any tips would be appreciated.

Old 11-17-2005, 06:08 AM

my cam chain tensioner was'nt hard to do at all, i put my crank shaft on the compression stroke (tdc) for some resistance, trying not to have any chain movement at all, then i removed the two bolts holding my tensioner wich is really easy to get to (below valve cover). for all my bike work i always consult my shop manual since there is a good bit to learn. the valve shimming proccess seems pretty straight forward but the shop that has my bike know offers that service for 250.00 that includes shims, cover gasket....... so i think i will let the shop own that project, priced the shim @ the dealer, 10.00 a peice.

hope this helps alot is still new to me

Old 11-17-2005, 06:29 AM
Super Moderator

Was there any adjustment or just put in new one. I have the shop manual and am just being to lazy to read it right know.

Old 11-17-2005, 06:41 AM

Yes, i can't remember word for word but the tensioner was a spring loaded design, the contact pin that contacted the chain guide had to be compressed within the tensioner body. I beleive my unit was rebuildable but i installed a brand new unit. if i remember my spring was worn and the old tensioner still had a bit of travel before full extension.

Old 11-17-2005, 07:30 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks bro.