General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Issue with ZX6-R 2000

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 06:53 PM
Default Issue with ZX6-R 2000

Im new to the forum and new to the LA area, looking for someone to help me out. If anyone is interested in doing some wrenching on the weekend let me know.

Problem: While I was riding I noticed my clutch cable seemed to stretch, there was now much more play in it and the clutch was only engaging when the lever was fully in. I brought it to the mechanic and they told me to adjust the cable settings which we did then I took a ride. I rode about 3 miles then after leaving a stop sign it seemed to lockup to the point where I thought the chain fell off the sprockett and wedge in, luckily i was only a block from home where I pushed it.

It wasnt the chain that fell off and i have replaced the clutch cable. the bike is hard to find neutral and seems to fall into gear while I am rolling it. it starts and idles fine but make a weird ticking sound,not sure what the issue is. Does anyone have any ideas? I do not think it is the clutch, could this be the shifting fork? How hard is ittoopen up and take a look in there? If anyone is near the Southbay area I am located in Hermosa Beach and could use some help.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:46 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Issue with ZX6-R 2000

well. bring it to maryland.. i'll fix it.[8D]

problem sounds like the shift star. unlike a **** or rock star, this little thing is supposed to always be engaged and work.

theres a pic of one somewhere,,lemme digitty dig it up..

ahh.. the shift star.. self-explanetory.. its star shaped.. (go figure)
Name:  DSCN1216.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  70.7 KB

and this little deathclaw looking gadget is what rides on the pins on the star and spins it when you wish to select another gear.
Name:  DSCN1217.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  69.3 KB

if it literally "falls" into gear whilst pushing the machine, i'd inspect this assembly first. after all, its the only thing keeping it IN gear.

the drum i do not think will cause this.

the tick is just a kawi thing.. lol.. my 7 sounds like a friggin diesel. and it's perfectly in spec. kawi has some of THE MOST aggressive cam timing, so valvetrain noise is to be expected..

hm.. clutch cable.. sounds like it was just frayed and broke.. did it? i'm kinda unclear on exactly what happened..

anyways.. for that shift gear... on your bike, it should be in there with the clutch.. not on mine, so don't let my pics throw ya..

as far as full shift drum/fork access, as you can see....
Name:  DSCN1185.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  133.6 KB
this warrants case splitting, which typically warrants engine removal. you can just barely see the tracks for the fork peg on the drum in this pic.. (just above the oil pump pick-up o-ring near the top) i doubt tho you have a drum problem.
they RARELY go bad, and other than blowing up second gear, the trannies are pretty strong.

A.D.D kicked in there for a sec...lol

re-reading the clutch thing.. sounds like it was between gears. theres NO SYNCHROs in a bike. don't let the masses try to decieve you. they're ALL constant mesh. all 12 gears in ther are always spinning.. they're just not always engaged to make a specific ratio, but they're always spinning. if you were to fall between gears, the dogs from the neighboring gears will try to engage to the other (faster or slower spinning) gears.. the shift fork slides 3 different gears on separate shafts. 2 on (if i recall correctly) the drive shaft and 1 gear on the counter (output) shaft. if they on't instantly seat to their repective positions, the whole assembly will lock up in an attempt to match 12 gears to the same speed..lol

the gearing when looking at it is like

1-3-5-6-4-2 input shaft
1-3-5-6-4-2 counter shaft

left gear is first.. far right is second, and it works its way in as you go higher, alternating sides.

3 and 4 on the input shaft are the ones that slide around. i think 5 or 6 does on the counter.. can't remember. it's almost 5am..

anyways, all these gears are of different diameters and when they're not engaged into a driven or driving gear, they freewheel at a separate rotation speed from the rest of the assembly. thus the nasties when you can't get a single speed selected.

well, i'm tired and out of mt. dew.

hope this helps or bored you to a fine slumber.

welcome to KF!!!

Old 05-02-2008, 03:29 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Issue with ZX6-R 2000

I am all ears in this one. May learn something! lol