General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Interesting sticky clutch issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 12:25 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Interesting sticky clutch issue

Here's the deal, my KXT250's clutch is becoming a nuisance. When it's warmed up and running, it's perfectly fine, shifts and grabs like it should.

But, when it's cold, the clutch basically does not slip, even with the clutch pulled in. I tried adjusting the clutch cable and such with no luck. It just sticks. Even after it's warmed up, it's kinda sticky still. If I have the clutch pulled in when I kill the engine, the bike will roll completely freely, but if I release it, and then pull it back out, the stick is there. I wasn't bothered by it when I first got the bike, but lately we have been needing to move it out of its parking spot quite frequently, so being able to pull the clutch in and roll it is what I am after. I know most would be fine with it, but I am incredibly picky about things like this.

Any ideas as to what is going on???? I looked a the clutch basket as well as the disks, and nothing seems out of the ordinary, but I did notice that the plates like to stick to each other. I am using HondaLine 10W-30 wet clutch oil, and tat is all I have put in it since I put the clutch in. I did soak the clutch in the oil overnight before installing. Are Kawasaki's just like this? Seems like everybody else doesn't have this issue. Thanks..

Old 04-18-2011, 03:17 AM
1st Gear Member

No idea on that, did it recently start happening or has it been that way since you bought it?

Old 04-19-2011, 02:17 AM
1st Gear Member

It's been that way since I got it in october, but I know these did not come like that from the factory, and I have confirmed that it should not do that with a few others. Keep in mind it's 27 years old.....

Old 04-19-2011, 02:40 AM
1st Gear Member

Yeah who knows what the last guy did to it. Seems you have already confirmed that it will release properly, just not all the time which leads me to beleive it was installed improperly, but since you rebuilt it and have the same issue still, I am puzzled.

Old 04-19-2011, 02:39 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Mine did that after not riding it for a couple of months, I had to adjust the cable. It was weird. Its been a few weeks again of not riding, I need to see if everything is still good.