General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

I Swear by JB WaterWeld ! LOL

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 02:13 AM
1st Gear Member
Default I Swear by JB WaterWeld ! LOL

So I was cleaning the chain and various other activities on the '94 250R I just bought from a guy locally...when all of a sudden I literally watched a hole form in the side of my gas tank !!! Sure as I sat there I watched gas trickle down the side of the tank and hit the engine down below... so i checked the tank ( no signs of rust inside ) checked the lines on the reserve switch and just stared at it in awe scratching my head wondering what could have caused it.
Once my brain ame to terms with the fact that I wasn't going to figure out what caused it, I shifted into 'how do i fix it mode' .. As a car mechanic for 8 years, I knew that JB Weld products had worked well for me in the past (at least on dry material, anyhow) so when I arrived at the parts store and saw that they made a product for wet applications I was happy to say the least.
One pinch, a couple of kneads between the fingers later, and I was ready to stick what appeared to be Chewing Gum to the side of my tank. As I did, I coudn't help but think that there was no way this stuff was going to seal that hole as gas continued to pour out of it, but patience my friends is a virtue. 20 minutes later, I dabbed the spot with a dry towel and I was ready to ride! It's been 3 days now and no more leaks.

JB WATERWELD - $6.50 NEW GAS TANK FROM PARTS UNLIMITED - $500 u do the math. right now i'm happier than a 5 year old with a fresh wall and a box of crayons

Pic coming soon .....

Old 07-15-2008, 02:31 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: I Swear by JB WaterWeld ! LOL

hahaha, now to figure out what screw caused the hole!

Old 07-16-2008, 11:31 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: I Swear by JB WaterWeld ! LOL

nice fix i will have to keep that stuff in mind next time