General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

I need help with a few things on my 02 XZ-7r

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 05:10 AM
1st Gear Member
Default I need help with a few things on my 02 XZ-7r

For anyone interested in what my bike looks like, first and foremost, here is a picture:

Name:  Bikeonlyfull-2-1.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  80.4 KB

I started off riding in 07 with a 2007 ninja 250. Laid it down, learned my lesson, and in spring of 08, bought this bike. I bought the bike because it was an awesome deal at the time, and I got it for quite a bit less than it was blue booked at, and I think almost a year later I found all of it's problems.

I was at one point leaking antifreeze and oil. I fixed the antifreeze leak by replacing the reservoir, since it was cracked at the bottom. Now I am still leaking oil, but I also just took it out the other day, and within the 30 minutes of riding that I did, all my antifreeze leaked out. I talked to a few people and examined my engine last time. I don't know much at all about bikes when it comes to working on them, except changing oil. For this problem, would anyone have any ideas what may be wrong? Someone told me it might have been a head gasket, but like I said I don't know enough about it to do anything. I don't want to take it anywhere here in town because the prices are insane and the quality of the work is low. However my uncle is a bike mechanic and when time permits he will help me fix everything that is wrong.

The other problems I am having is that my brakes squeal really, really bad. I know the pads are low, but again someone told me it may be the rotors also. I felt the rotors and they do feel worn down quite a bit. Would I just need to change my rotors and pads to get rid of the squeal?

Next, the chrome wheels and frame of the bike are nice, but it needs polished in some way. Is there any way to help restore shine to chrome without having Ph chemicals make it look faded?

The only thing I have added to my bike since I bought it are the LEDs in the picture here:

Name:  2002KawasakiNinjaZX7R009.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  101.1 KB

Once all the mechanical problems are fixed, which I hope to be by middle of summer, I plan to re-paint it and lower it, since it is a tad too high for me. Anyone have any input on painting the bike/pipe(if that is possible).

I know this is lengthy, but I hope that between everyone here that I can get a little help with my mess of a bike that I love. Feel free to message me on AIM at Irishassassin07, MSN - GoGoDJ89@hotmail.com, or email dbeach01@my.heartland.edu

Sorry about the lengthy post, but I have a lot of problems

Old 02-13-2009, 01:53 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

welcome to KF. nice ride! 30 min is fast for losing all ur coolant. is your iol milky looking? thats a sign of head gasket.

Old 02-13-2009, 02:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, it is a bit milky looking, does that diagnose where I'm losing both of them from then?

Last edited by Metalcore; 02-13-2009 at 05:02 PM.
Old 02-14-2009, 03:48 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

hmm, milky oil is a bad thing along with a 30 minute ride and having no coolant.

Old 02-14-2009, 04:46 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dragone#19
hmm, milky oil is a bad thing along with a 30 minute ride and having no coolant.
Once I got done riding there was still a little bit in the reservoir from what was in the engine still, so I didn't ride without coolant and milky oil during the ride.

Old 02-14-2009, 04:54 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

good thinking. At least you know to put some gauges on and do your checks.

Old 02-14-2009, 05:36 AM
1st Gear Member

the oil/antifreeze thing is probably a failed water pump seal.

my first guess, anyway.. theres other possibilities but i'll let them out til i get more info.

as far as your rims, i had the same issue. i had to polish where the chrome chipped and peeled off the rear hub.. i found that polishing the chrome with a sisal wheel will leave "grain" in the chrome and you'll see those scratches in certain light levels and view angles. best bet is to do it the old fashioned and sucky way and hand-buff the rims out.

good luck and welcome to KF!! thats a beautiful bike.. rare condition as well with stock paint and all. i'd be half tempted to leave that paint.

as well, if you need links, let me know. i have a CNC program to make them. adjustable as well.. 0/1/2" drop. i have them on mine. $45 shipped.

Old 02-16-2009, 02:25 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by whitehendrix
the oil/antifreeze thing is probably a failed water pump seal.

my first guess, anyway.. theres other possibilities but i'll let them out til i get more info.

as far as your rims, i had the same issue. i had to polish where the chrome chipped and peeled off the rear hub.. i found that polishing the chrome with a sisal wheel will leave "grain" in the chrome and you'll see those scratches in certain light levels and view angles. best bet is to do it the old fashioned and sucky way and hand-buff the rims out.

good luck and welcome to KF!! thats a beautiful bike.. rare condition as well with stock paint and all. i'd be half tempted to leave that paint.

as well, if you need links, let me know. i have a CNC program to make them. adjustable as well.. 0/1/2" drop. i have them on mine. $45 shipped.
What would you suggest using to polish my rims, that was my question.

Also, although you can't see it in the pictures, there are many flaws to my paint job, and I don't at all like the yellow, especially with the blue and purple lights, which is why I wanted to paint it. Do you have any specific place that you bought your paint from or from where you would recommend buying some from?

Old 02-16-2009, 05:47 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

I like the yellow accent of the factory paint. Not too fond of the blue lights either. I am not a painter so I cannot give you a good supplier for that.

Old 03-03-2009, 07:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Also, when it comes to buffing out my chrome, I don't mind hand buffing it for a long time. I don't know where to buy something to buff it with or what I'm actually looking for that is good quality and will do the job right.

Quick Reply: I need help with a few things on my 02 XZ-7r