General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

How To Lower A Zx9r The Right Way?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 08:13 PM
Default How To Lower A Zx9r The Right Way?

ok, i have a 98 zx9r. i took it to the drag strip for the first time the other day.. just got the bike like a month and a half ago, so pretty new to riding, only got about 3500 miles under my belt. well i ran, 12.0 at 120 letting out to early, and got it to a 11.1 at 128 on my 4th run, then ran out of time, my 60fts were terrible best being a 2.05. most the bikes i saw had different sprockets on them, and were cutting 1.6-1.8s. i am not good at launching it, was bogging it to much and didnt slip it enough. i plan to go -1,+3 on the bike and then lower it to help from coming up. i was wondering how much i should lower it? its a daily drivin bike also, so i dont want it completely on the ground or anything, just enough to really help me out. how do you lower a bike the right way and not half ***, and how low is still street able?

Old 04-12-2010, 11:35 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Tili, my personal taste is to not lower it, but I understand you're into the drag racing scene. The more you lower it, the less "street-able" it becomes, because you're messing with the geometry. One way to lower it is to get into dog bones for the rear and strapping the front end (mashing the fork so you have basically no compression or rebound left.) You might let some air out of that rear tire, too. I would recommend un-strapping it after you run, unless you like the feel of riding a Harley hardtail backwards. "How low is still street-able" depends somewhat on how you RIDE on the street. The lower you go, the less you should play in the twisties. I've seen plenty of guys do the strapping-thing and think they're Joe Badd, only to dump it in the first curve with a new-found appreciation (but not understanding) of physics. Ever seen Ricky Gadsen on the street with his drag bike? Probably not....
Drag racing is all about the launch. Get the reflex mastered, and the rest is all wrist.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tilikum98
ok, i have a 98 zx9r. i took it to the drag strip for the first time the other day.. just got the bike like a month and a half ago, so pretty new to riding, only got about 3500 miles under my belt. well i ran, 12.0 at 120 letting out to early, and got it to a 11.1 at 128 on my 4th run, then ran out of time, my 60fts were terrible best being a 2.05. most the bikes i saw had different sprockets on them, and were cutting 1.6-1.8s. i am not good at launching it, was bogging it to much and didnt slip it enough. i plan to go -1,+3 on the bike and then lower it to help from coming up. i was wondering how much i should lower it? its a daily drivin bike also, so i dont want it completely on the ground or anything, just enough to really help me out. how do you lower a bike the right way and not half ***, and how low is still street able?
welcome to the zone, your hook now ! but the best way to lower that 9 is unloosen the tripple tree clamps and slide the forks up, also get a front end strap, they help out a ton by keepin the front end down while launching... also pic up a set of lowering links for the rear, it helps lower the center of the bike so you can launch better and cut them goooodddd 60ft's...