General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

How to clean the carbs?????

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 07:52 AM
Default How to clean the carbs?????

Can anyone tell me how to clean the carbs please just some instruction would be fine i started taking of the air filter box and thats where i stoped

Old 04-09-2007, 07:54 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: How to clean the carbs?????

Sorry no I havent cleaned a carb in years and the last one was from a 76 dodge pickup.
Dont worry someone will help out in time.. BTW welcome to the forum.

Old 04-09-2007, 09:08 AM
1st Gear Member

I would suggest buying a service manual for your bike. That's what I did when I rebuilt my carbs. There are just some things better explaned by reading the manual.

Old 05-02-2007, 03:10 AM

i haven't looked through my manual in a bit. it does tell you how to clean the carbs? i have a 500, i'll hafta look thursday or friday as it's gonna be really nice here. for those that have done it, what type of cleaning materials do you need to do it?

Old 05-02-2007, 03:49 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

My opinion, all carbs are the same basicallybut require a tweak here and there over the others. I tear my carbs apart and use diesel in my parts washer. I scrub every part.

Then using my manual, would check my float height before reinstalling the carbs. (I am bad at remembering numbers sometimes). Then proceed to a sync check after install.

Old 05-02-2007, 04:05 AM

ORIGINAL: Dragone#19

My opinion, all carbs are the same basicallybut require a tweak here and there over the others. I tear my carbs apart and use diesel in my parts washer. I scrub every part.

Then using my manual, would check my float height before reinstalling the carbs. (I am bad at remembering numbers sometimes). Then proceed to a sync check after install.
thanks for the tips. i might just have to meet up with someone around here to help me, cause chances are i'll end up screwing it up somehow

Old 05-02-2007, 04:09 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

honestly, carb work and cleaning is not a big deal. The big deal is removing and reinstalling the rack in my opinion.

edit: grammar

Old 05-02-2007, 03:08 PM
1st Gear Member

A Service Manual is essential. Its not hard but its much easier than having to go back to the internet and wait for answers. Also, depending on the number of cylinders, the throttle cable is a PITA to reinstall on a 4 cylinder machine[sm=headbang.gif]

Old 05-03-2007, 11:18 PM

man i wish i had tech skills.

Old 05-03-2007, 11:26 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Zbike

A Service Manual is essential. Its not hard but its much easier than having to go back to the internet and wait for answers. Also, depending on the number of cylinders, the throttle cable is a PITA to reinstall on a 4 cylinder machine[sm=headbang.gif]
lol, yup, a little finesse to get that bugger in place.

Quick Reply: How to clean the carbs?????