General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

high idle

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 12:19 AM
Default RE: high idle

A vaccum hose left disconected will wreak havok on your idle. There is one hose that goes from the right side of the intake manifold to the idle bypass valve on the left side of the carby. Easy to miss. if not you really need to check maybe with some sort of spray, idle will go down when you spray on the leak. That is if you have an intake leak. What else did you do when you had the carbs off?

2 k is too high idle unless your stunting or racing. if it wont go any lower check the fuel mixture screw. Is possible prior tech removed brass plug and somehow mixture screw is gone or washer/oring is gone missing.

Could be many things try adding more gas via choke or restricting the air at the filter and see what it does.

I was on the ninja 250 forum but didnt ask what bike do you ride? Most things apply though

Good luck

Old 05-10-2007, 12:39 AM
Default high idle

Have a new question for everyone...

To start my problem... idle run high when rev'd... but after a short period of time it goes back... so changing gears its at 4-5k and stopping it may take a min to go back to 2k (i set it there)... the cable isnt stuck or sticking... i have removed carbs and sprayed with clearner... before this happened... could this be from a air leak or such or really just need to tear down.....

need any more info let me know...

Thanks for any help
TK

Old 05-10-2007, 01:30 AM

Thanks for all the info... I will then try to track all vaccum hoes down... when you say spray... is there a special spray you can use?

when i took the carbs off i sprayed them down with clearner and removed the bowl to check the floats (had a problem with the petcock and didnt know if it was that or the floats)

also the 2k idle is I've only been riding for a very very short time... (10 or sorides) Its my first bike.... and everyone tells me to put it there so its easier to take off... should I not??

Thank you again... I dont know much about engines and bikes but i want to learn... thats why i got the bike it did... and oh yeah... Its a 83 GPZ 750

Old 05-11-2007, 01:21 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Un synched carbs will also play rpm havoc.

Old 05-11-2007, 04:06 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: noob_rider

Thanks for all the info... I will then try to track all vaccum hoes down... when you say spray... is there a special spray you can use?
WD40 works fine

also the 2k idle is I've only been riding for a very very short time... (10 or sorides) Its my first bike.... and everyone tells me to put it there so its easier to take off... should I not??
It may help you get used to the clutch if you've never used one before, but once you have your clutch and throttle control down its just wasting gas imo

Old 05-12-2007, 12:39 AM

Thanks to all for chiming in. Noob please let us know when you find the culprit to add to our info bank

Thanks
Everybody have a good weekend.

Old 05-13-2007, 07:07 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Definitely sounds like a vacuum leak. How old is the bike. If it's an older bike the intake manifilds crack & suck in air or your vacuum hoses are disconnected or deteriorated. Check them. Check your carb clamps too.

Old 05-23-2007, 04:55 PM

Just a small update and question...

? first..
Are my carbs 34 mm Mikuni carbs?

and update... there is a wrong clamp for the carbs someone used a pipe clamp.. so I think it was pinching the seal to let in the air... and found that the floats were set to high... so getting there... but while getting there... ran into a problem with the foot that holds the cotter pin for the float is cracked and will break so i may have to replace the carb...

TK

Old 05-24-2007, 12:57 PM
1st Gear Member

that could have been your problem in the first place. let us know when it's fixed and how it runs after the new parts are on

Old 05-25-2007, 05:37 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Just a small update and question...

? first..
Are my carbs 34 mm Mikuni carbs?

and update... there is a wrong clamp for the carbs someone used a pipe clamp.. so I think it was pinching the seal to let in the air... and found that the floats were set to high... so getting there... but while getting there... ran into a problem with the foot that holds the cotter pin for the float is cracked and will break so i may have to replace the carb...

TK
Cheap parts and time for the pin. Double check float height while you are at it. Inspect the floats while you are at it.