General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Grinding and clunking noise when rolling

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 06:23 PM
Unhappy Grinding and clunking noise when rolling

I have a problem with my 92 kawi zx7. this just happen yesterday. I went to go ride it and as coming to a stop the bike made a loud grinding/clunk noise and than the clutch handle felted weird and for a minute there it felt like it was stuck and the clutch handle loose. I play around with the handle and it pop back into place but the grinding noise is still there when rolling. Once I stop the grinding noise is gone and the engine runs and idles great....but than once I start to go it starts to grind again and is pretty loud. Could this mean that my clutch is out or there be other problem like my tranny.....any suggestion would be great. thanks

Old 08-27-2008, 08:13 PM
1st Gear Member

I can tell you better if you supply this info:
Does the clutch slip??
Is it mechanical (cable) or hydraulic (oil)

Sounds like you broke the clutch actuator. Its the lever under the cover that applies the pressure to the clutch inner basket via a small needle bearing.
The bearing blew apart, and the actuator arm is riding on the clutch, or, the arm tip broke and its riding on the side of the bearing, instead of in the center.

Old 08-28-2008, 05:28 AM

Well it doesn't seem to slip now but I did notice some slight slipping during take off two days before that and but ran ok after that and than the grinding happen. I have a hydraulic system for the clutch and when the grinding noise happen for the first time it felt it like something was stuck and the clutch handle didn't have to be release all the way out for it to engage....my is set to engage half way but when it happen I barely release the handle and it engage.... after compressing the clutch handle a couple of times it went back to normal. But as I rode the bike back home it didn't seem to slip and I can still shift gear and accel but with just loud grinding noise mix with knocking noise. The faster I go the faster the noise gets....sorrie it hard to explain my issue...hope this help.

Old 08-28-2008, 06:58 PM
1st Gear Member

o.k. then:
On a hyd. system, the basket is pushed by a rod that passes thru the trans from left to right. Slave cylinder is on the left & clutch is on the right. When you pumped the clutch handle, like brakes, you moved the slave cyl. piston closer, taking up the space.
Now, the space:
Inside the clutch assy is the bearing i spoke of. It needs replaced. Also you said it was slightly slipping? You have 1 or more broken fiber disks in the clutch basket, and/or a broken retainer spring. (even broken, the pieces can't go anywhere until they get to a size small enuff to get thru the openings in the basket) If you keep riding, eventually a small piece will fall out, and possibly lodge in a gear mesh and BANG, now more parts to replace.

Get it fixed soon...if you give me a email address, i can send you the parts diagram of the clutch. (you can't access the site i use)

Old 08-30-2008, 05:17 AM
Unhappy

Ok ....this is what Ive done so far and everything seen to be ok. I remove the clutch cover and remove all the friction disc and inspect all and is ok and there is no sign of any damage but already order a clutch kit anyways. Inspect the whole clutch assembly and is ok and rotate freely without and drag. Remove the cover on the left side that the slave cylinder mount on to and inspect the shifting mechanism there is no broken or loose part...inspect the bearing and it rotate freely. I didnt see a bearing in the clutch assembly...maybe Im not looking at the right one or is it on a plate I miss or just didnt look hard enough......well here my email is touaxiong102@hotmail.com.

Thanks for your time.

Old 09-01-2008, 07:15 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

what did ya find?

Old 09-14-2008, 03:05 AM

I found nothing so far......Im thinking about tearing it down some more to find out wut wrong or just installed the clutch and recheck it......Im thinking about dropping the oil pan and inspecting the gears. Thanks........