General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

GPZ900 Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 02:10 AM
Default GPZ900 Help

Hello

I have a 1984 GPZ900 I have decided to get her running tip top again after sitting for 8 months or longer, I could not get it started, so I decided to clean the carbs. after cleaning them on the first few tries I was able to get her to turn over but she runs very ruff in choke I checked all floaters and jets all seem to be fine. It wont idal at all when the choke is off. I should mintion, I did away with the stock airbox and fitted it with cone filters. I have seen it done with no prob so I know it works. just cant seem to get her to run right. can someone tell me what I may be having a problem with and also what is the right compression for the carbs as I did a check but have no reference for my numbers. I do have a manuel for the bike. any help would be great.

Old 02-14-2009, 03:56 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

If you know that you are 100% clean on the carbs, float settings and cable adjustments, what does your synch tell you? Have fun and welcome to KF

Old 02-14-2009, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by Dragone#19
If you know that you are 100% clean on the carbs, float settings and cable adjustments, what does your synch tell you? Have fun and welcome to KF

yeah I am guessing I have to synchronize the carbs I dont have the tool for that but I am guessing I can rent or borrow one but doesn't the engine need to run for that to work?

Old 02-14-2009, 07:54 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by GPZ900Nick
Hello

I have a 1984 GPZ900 I have decided to get her running tip top again after sitting for 8 months or longer, I could not get it started, so I decided to clean the carbs. after cleaning them on the first few tries I was able to get her to turn over but she runs very ruff in choke I checked all floaters and jets all seem to be fine. It wont idal at all when the choke is off. I should mintion, I did away with the stock airbox and fitted it with cone filters. I have seen it done with no prob so I know it works. just cant seem to get her to run right. can someone tell me what I may be having a problem with and also what is the right compression for the carbs as I did a check but have no reference for my numbers. I do have a manuel for the bike. any help would be great.
How far did you take the carbs apart? Did you mess with any of the screws between the carbs? Also check your idle screw that should be coming out and below on the right side. Do you let it warm up completely before you take the choke off? Do you have all the vacuum hoses hooked up properly? did you re set the idle mixture screws? The idle jet is a bastard to clean if it's plugged, make sure you can see through it. Shine a light down in it to see if there is any gunk. I had to soak mine 3 times and then use a strand of stereo wire to poke through all the crap.

Good luck

Old 02-18-2009, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by 1984ZX900
How far did you take the carbs apart? Did you mess with any of the screws between the carbs? Also check your idle screw that should be coming out and below on the right side. Do you let it warm up completely before you take the choke off? Do you have all the vacuum hoses hooked up properly? did you re set the idle mixture screws? The idle jet is a bastard to clean if it's plugged, make sure you can see through it. Shine a light down in it to see if there is any gunk. I had to soak mine 3 times and then use a strand of stereo wire to poke through all the crap.

Good luck
Well i just discovered that the cleaning I did to the carbs, was not enough. I did not take it apart enough. Anyway I have been able to start it and get it to idal very nice in choke. For this reason it leads me to believe that the Jets are fouled and or it is a fuel air mixture that is off. I know i need to sync my carbs, but I was under the impression syncing would not help this process, because the bike should already be running well for the sync to have any effect. The idal mixture screw is capped on the 84 US version so all i have is the Idal screw on the left of the bike and it does a lot in choke but nothing out of choke. Any thing ells I should check I have low compression from 4 - 1 its 90-60-60-90 and i am told it should be in the 110-140 range in the Manuel but when I pour oil in the spark holes i get around 110 or higher please tell me I don't have to crack my case. thanks everyone

Old 02-19-2009, 12:19 AM
1st Gear Member

A good fuel system cleaner is "Seafoam". It's a gasoline additive found at any good auto parts store and at Wal Mart in the U.S. The website for the additive is www.seafoamsales.com Follow the directions on the can for mix ratio's.

It has been used by the riders at www.kzrider.com and www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum with good results cleaning clogged carbs and injectors.

Old 02-19-2009, 02:34 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

I have low compression from 4 - 1 its 90-60-60-90 and i am told it should be in the 110-140 range in the Manuel but when I pour oil in the spark holes i get around 110 or higher
Not a good indicator at all. Top end time most likely.