General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Gas in my oil?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 09:53 PM
Default Gas in my oil?

1st off its a 2007 ninja ex250. the bike only has 1013 miles on it. bought it new and have followed the manual to spec. replaced oil n filter and stayed within break-in rpms. layed the bike over for the 1st time. very small exterior damage, cracked blinker and front fairing, no other damage i can see. bike wuldnt start bak up after it occured sowe pulled the spark plugs and replaced the oil agin. bike started fine. there was gas in that oil. after filling the oil back up we believe it had gas in it once agin also replaced the filter.wen we checked the oil it was over the sight. emptied some out then rode for an hour once agin over the sight. finally replaced the oil yesterday and filled it to the top level. did not replace the filter but did drain it. didnt ride it and overnite it showed the oil above the top.took some out agin 2day but did not replace it entirely. yet thatoil has no scent of gas. hav marked the level it is at and goin 2 see if it rises overnite. we are thinking maybe one of the carbs is stuck open and gas is leaking down the cylinder wall or gas is coming in thru the air intake system. any thoughts or help at all wuld be greatly appreciated thanks.

Old 05-07-2008, 01:53 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Gas in my oil?

i had an 250 with the same problem i turn the fuel petcock off when im done riding it helped me

Old 05-07-2008, 06:21 AM
1st Gear Member

Or, replace the petcock valve. It may also be stuck float needles in one or both of your carbs.

Old 05-07-2008, 12:11 PM
1st Gear Member

float needle - could have a spec of gunk in there blocking it open - happened to my 6r

Old 05-07-2008, 03:28 PM

thanks. we dont believe it 2 be a stuck float for we left the petcock on and the oil hasnt risen up. so gas isnt seaping thru the cylinder. ill look into the float needle. gonna drive it around next time its nice out and see if it goes up agin.

Old 05-07-2008, 04:04 PM
1st Gear Member

hmm only goes up when its running?

Old 05-08-2008, 08:14 PM

yea it definitely went up while riding. put it in the exact same spot as before. air intake smells like gas strongly also. not sure how gas culd get from the carb into ther tho...any ideas?

Old 05-08-2008, 08:30 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

could itbe a bad ringon the piston let the unburned fuel seep down into the crank case??

Old 05-08-2008, 08:31 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

does it smoke at all??

Old 05-08-2008, 08:53 PM

no smoke. i know thats a sign of oil burning but ther isnt any.dont think itd be a ring either cuz the gas wuld be burned in the cylinder while the bike is running. think somehow its comin bak into the air intake and goin down thru the crankcase, but the intake is behind the carb. so no idea how it culd get bak in ther.

Quick Reply: Gas in my oil?