General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Fuel Pump question for a 97 ZX-11

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 03:34 PM
Default RE: Fuel Pump question for a 97 ZX-11

Forgot to add one more thing, I went and got the battery tested at an auto parts shop and they said the battery was good.

Is it possible that the battery isn't good and isn't holding a charge?

I figure who knows who had the bike before me, and how long it sit, this is all considering that the battery or the throttle response went down minutes after I started her up.

Old 01-19-2006, 02:50 AM

I know how it feels to be getting closer to the fix along with all of the troubleshooting that can be involved.

It sounds like you're on the track now and you should get it soon.

Old 01-19-2006, 07:31 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: clay8up

Forgot to add one more thing, I went and got the battery tested at an auto parts shop and they said the battery was good.

Is it possible that the battery isn't good and isn't holding a charge?

I figure who knows who had the bike before me, and how long it sit, this is all considering that the battery or the throttle response went down minutes after I started her up.

The voltage is a good sign.

Old 01-19-2006, 07:54 AM
Super Moderator

did you remove your pilot jets when you cleaned your carbs and made sure you could see through them?

Did you check your floats for proper operation?

Old 01-21-2006, 10:15 PM

Alright guys thanks for all your help,

I finally got the bike started, got a good spark and fuel running through it now, but now another dilema. [sm=violin.gif] WA WA[sm=headbang.gif] Do the problems ever end....lol Well at least I have a good aditude about things.

Here's the problem now, The bike starts and idles great. Also when it is in nuetral it rev's like the beast she is, but don't try to put it in gear and drive off cuz thats when the motor flutters out. I just can't figure this one out, how can the bike idle and rev to 10,000 RPM perfectly in nuetral standing still but not rev over 3,000 RPM in gear without stalling, any ideas? I'm lost.[:@]

Old 01-22-2006, 02:57 AM

Are you trying to take off with the kickstand down? Mine has a safety switch that kills it imediately.
If the kickstand is not down, switch maybe bad?

Old 01-22-2006, 06:14 PM

Ok check this out, mine has the kickstand safty switch

http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/400_03...0&parent=13990 (part number) 27010A

but when my kickstand is down it doesn't kill the motor, like I said before in my previous post when the bike is just sitting, kickstand down the motor runs perfectly. But when I first purchased the bike the kickstand switch worked, it killled the motor when I put it down. Hmm, maybe this bike is using some kinda trickery.......lol

I'm doin to try putting the other stand up and the kickstand up and see how it reacts.

Old 01-22-2006, 07:56 PM

The safety switch will only shut the engine off when you try to drive away with the kickstand down. Only at take-off does it shut the engine off, you can idle with the kicksatnd down. Then as soon as you try to drive away, it will cut the engine immediately. Not sure if this is your problem, but just a check.

Old 01-23-2006, 05:10 PM

How would I check if that switch is bad or good? Is there some kinda test procedure I could do to see if its working properly?

Old 01-24-2006, 01:46 AM

I'm not sure if your's is the same as my ZX9R. I would suggest getting a service manual or go to the public library and see if there is one there that would help you out.

The procedure for my bike is as follows;

(Bike is off)
1) Remove the seats
2) Shift it into first gear and set the side stand to "On" position. (I think this means sidestand down)
3) Set the hand tester to the 25 V DC range, and connect the positive tester to junction box Black lead. And the Negative tester to the frame ground.
4) turn ignition to "on" and push the "starter button"
5) Read the voltage. Voltage should be 6 ~ 13.4 volts

Don't know if this helps or not.

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump question for a 97 ZX-11