General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Fuel Pump question for a 97 ZX-11

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 02:02 AM
Default Fuel Pump question for a 97 ZX-11

Should the fuel pump in my zx-11 turn on when my key is in the on position?
My fuel pump has no suction in it at all...I pulled it out to make sure it was not clogged and tinkered with it; but no luck. Any ideas?

Old 01-12-2006, 02:21 AM
Default RE: Fuel Pump question for a 97 ZX-11

I'm not sure about your year, but I would think that it would be the same as my ZX9R 2000' model. From what I've read on these the fuel pump doesn't turn on until you hit the starter button & of course while the engine is running.

Old 01-12-2006, 04:43 PM

Well I put the key in and turn it over and there is no suction, figuring that the pump is bad. Is the pumps the same for lower size engine models? I have looked at a few on ebay and they look the same just wondering if they pump out the same fuel

Old 01-13-2006, 02:05 AM

When you say suction, are you meaning from the fuel tank hose? I don't know if there would be suction there, I think it may work off of gravity, no sure though.

There is another thing that may be worth checking if your bike has one.

On the 2000 ZX9R there is a Fuel Pump Relay Switch. It's a possiblity that yours could be bad?
The Relay switch, I think, Switches it on/off? It is located, on my bike, underneath the passenger seat - connected to the rear of the the toolkit box holder.

I have heard that they rarely go though, but who knows?

I had some fuel issues on a bike I bought this Summer and you wouldn't believe what I learned about my bike figuring out that one.

I had taken my Relay Switch off and checked the amperage readings according to the specs in my Kawasaki Service manual. I thought it was bad because the readings weren't correct. I was told that reading with a small handheld voltmeter was not to be trusted, there are other types of units for acurately checking this.
Even though my readings were not what the specs were, by my checking that is, mine ended up being good.

The relay switch can be purchased from www.ronayers.com for around $20

How are you checking the vacuuum or testing the pump. Are you using some type of Vacuum or Pressure Guage? Do you know what the pressure is supposed to be? It is not real much, I think it's about 1.5' lbs to like 2.5' lbs? And should hold a constant on runninig the bike.

I've got a good switch and good fuel pump to sell if your interested. I could also tell you if they're the same part numbers.

Hope any of this helps.

Old 01-16-2006, 02:24 AM

Well heres the newest details,I have been trying to get my bike up and running for the past week or so and everytime I think I come to figure out what the problem is I run into another road bump...the newest being there is no spark coming from the spark plugs...

At first, I thought maybe the engine wasn't getting any gas; however I tested that theory and the fuel pump is sufficiently pumping...I took out the #4 plug and it gave me no spark...I replaced it and another spark plug gave me no spark even when put next to the frame for a ground. Since the #4 plug runs off of the left ignition coil I figured I would test the #2 spark plug comming from the right ignition coil. After trying this out, conclusion was the same, meaning no spark comming from either coils.

From here on im thinking Dam could both of the coils have stoped working at the same time?

What could be going on???

Does anyone know if the coils/ignition box could be the root of this? Or, what is it... I would highly doubt that both of the coils would have stopped working at the same time, what is everyone here's opinion. I'm leaning toward the ignition box, but is there something I'm missing that should be looked at first before purchasing a new computer or coils?

Please help....aghh....

Old 01-16-2006, 02:51 AM

I'm not real familiar with the ZX-11, if it's anything like the ZX9R here's where I would start;
I would recomend having a service manual or possibly a Clymer manual of some sort to use as an aid for resolving your problem on your bike. If you don't have one, you can find these at your Public Library. Not sure how much Clymer offers in troubleshooting, but I would think they have this.

Make sure the battery has a good charge?
Check for resistance between plug boot and coil. Not sure how to do it on your bike.
Check for a blown fuse.
Check to see if you have any shorted or loose wires anywhere up around the battery

If these all check out it could be one of these also;
IC ignighter trouble
Nuetral, Starter Lockout, or sidestand switch trouble
Pickup coil trouble
Ignition or engine stop switch shorted
Wiring shorted or open

Could also be a few other things, but these are some of the main items.

[IMG]local://upfiles/673/58D1F8508E71423C96CB8AD2157A4D36.gif[/IMG]

Old 01-18-2006, 12:44 AM

Ok went and got the battery fully charged, It ran sweet for about 4-5 min then died again. I'm startiong to ponder, dam its the alternator isn't it. Must be keeping it from getting the good spark needed. It will run in idle then dies is throttle is turned. Anyone have any ideas?

Old 01-18-2006, 01:56 AM

Has the bike been sitting for a long time?

How does it sound at idle?

I think possibly it could be a fuel problem with the carbs if it starts, but as soon as you give it thottle it wants to die. If you have an auxillary fuel tank you could look down the carbs as your running it or it will run for awhile with the float bowls full. You could see if it's getting fuel when you crack the throttle a bit. Your carbs may need a good cleaning.

Old 01-18-2006, 06:10 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ZX_9r

Has the bike been sitting for a long time?

How does it sound at idle?

I think possibly it could be a fuel problem with the carbs if it starts, but as soon as you give it thottle it wants to die. If you have an auxillary fuel tank you could look down the carbs as your running it or it will run for awhile with the float bowls full. You could see if it's getting fuel when you crack the throttle a bit. Your carbs may need a good cleaning.

I am curious on that same topic. I think that the battery will run the ECU even after the alternator go's out lets say. Not sure. 4-5 minutes is not long of a run time for a battery to go dead. What was the voltage on the battery when the ride died?

Old 01-18-2006, 03:12 PM

Voltage on the battery was around 12V when it only idles and stalls under load.

I've already cleaned the carbs and checked the fuel system, everything is a go there.

I was thinking maybe it was more like 10 min.

The bike cranked over fine when the battery was fully charged, and under throttle load responded perfectly. After the ten minutes though the bike would only idle and under throttle load would stall, which makes me think that the battery was dieing and spark was weaking, due to the digital ignition system. I think if the didgital ignition system doesn't get a certain parameter or the 12V it will weaking then eventually kill all spark. I figure this because when my battery was almost dead the bike turned over and had lights and all this but had no spark.

I totally appreiciate all your help, I know I will find the problem soon, its always a hunt.

Hey dragone where would I find the altenator molex to see if the voltage drops?
I already know the voltage drops on the battery when running.

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump question for a 97 ZX-11