General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

fuel injector/carb cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 11:42 PM
1st Gear Member
Default fuel injector/carb cleaner

I have had some problems w/ my bike running ****ty when I start it up. Have been told possible dirty carbs. I bought some "STP Fuel injector and Carburetor Treatment" Is this safe to add to my gas. I know not to add the entire bottle. Thanks

Old 06-30-2006, 04:22 AM
c10
Default RE: fuel injector/carb cleaner

Unfortunately the only REAL CURE is to go into the carbs and clean them properly . Anything else hopefull as you might be is just wasted effort .

Carb repair is not rocket sicene so don't be scared . Get you a digital camera and take many pics to remember how to reasemble after disasembly .

Buy the owners service manual is the biggest help . For what you will spend at the dealer ship you will actuly save money and
be able to learn and proably do a better job than most shops out there today .

Old 06-30-2006, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

True true...Pulling the carbs and doing a cleaning is pretty easy.... I usually add a 1/3 bottle to every 2 or 3rd fill up of Berrymans... But that is probably a more preventitive maintance than a fix tho'....

Old 06-30-2006, 08:51 AM

I agree with these two ^

Get a manual, or atleast look online for a diagram of your carb. There should be one at kawasaki.com I have a kx125, and there was one for mine. It shows all the parts in the carb. Pictures or a video is a great idea too. Anything that helps you remember what you took out and how, is the hardest part about cleaning the carb. It all goes back the way you took it out, just reverse all the steps.
Just get some good carb cleaner at your local auto store, and lay out a clean work space. You will have lots of small parts.. don't loose em. I also recommend getting some canned air to dry out all the holes and corners once its cleaned.
It's really not hard at all. I can do it... anyone can do it.

Good Luck!

Old 06-30-2006, 10:21 AM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

jayden, you can handle the carb cleaning on your 250, just be safe and pick up a few cans of cleaner. i use to go through between 4 and 6 cleaning the rack on my zx7.

Old 07-01-2006, 12:25 AM
c10

DO NOT SPRAY CARB CLEAN ON THE RUBBER SLIDE DIAFRAMS ON THE TOP OF THE CARB .

I had to throw that in . Most chemicals will destroy the rubber parts in a carb so make sure its all removed before you apply chemicals .

Old 07-07-2006, 07:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Rebuilding the carbs usually is the only way to solve your problems. however, before you do that, try running at least two tankfuls of gas with half a can of SEAFOAM cleaner in each tank fillup. You'll be surprised how well seafoam works. I worked for an auto parts store for over 5 years, and can tell you SEAFOAM is one of the best fuel treatments you can buy. I use it, and have heard of countless other customers tell me how well it's worked for them. It's also much cheaper than a carb rebuild.

But with any cleaner, the trick is to give it time to work into the gummed up parts in your carbs. You may not see anything happen for a few days, or even a week.

Old 07-07-2006, 09:49 PM
Super Moderator

Clean the carbs c10, evil and br are right.
It is not very hard to do, just make sure you remove and clean the jets and needles as well. Do not just try to spray cleaner all over the carb bodies. Once you have the carbs out and disassembled you will see lots if different small holes in the carb bodies spray cleaner through all of these as well. I use about 4-5 large cans of cleaner on mine.
Also wear safety glasses when spraying the cleaner; it is a very nasty eye irritant.