General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Front sprocket....

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 12:58 AM
Default Front sprocket....

New here, but im having a problem i need help with.

07 ZX6R, changing the front sprocket, but the nut will not back off. With an impact at 120 psi the nut didnt budge, and the socket started to round off the nut. So i took it to the dealer and the service manager puts his impact on it only to finish off the rounding process of the nut. Take the bike back to my garage, and shower it in WD-40, find a socket that fits it really tight, and stand on the 1/2in ratchet, as well as taking a mini sledge to it. Still no movement. So i break out the propane torch, get it nice and hot and do the same process with the sledge. Still nothing..[sm=smiley5.gif] It's not reverse thread and i even tried it the opposite way to make sure. My next step is to take a cut-off wheel to the nut. Anyone have any suggestions or any other 07-08's have the same problem?? thanks for any help [sm=dontgetit.gif]

Old 04-21-2008, 04:58 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Front sprocket....

damn..
shouldn't be lefty thread, anyway..

some are i think, but not on that one to my knowledge.

go after the dealer for rounding it off!!!
tell them to fix it.

i hope you didn't fry your seals with heating that nut.

if you do cut the nut off, don't gouge the threads.. you'll hve to clean them up with a ginormous die if you do, and that die is NOT cheap.

thread file would work, maybe..

you DID take care of the retenion plate on it, right? theres a washer thats folded usually against the flat of the nut to keep it from coming off... i'm guessing you did since the socket fit on there, and the dealer attempted it as well.. (i'd hope their tech is smart enough to know that one..lol)

keep us postd man..

Old 04-21-2008, 04:44 PM

lol yea i bent the washer back. thats the first thing to do. this morning i even took a drift punch and hammer to it all the way around to make sure it wasn't catching anywhere.
too bad i cant really go after the dealer tho, b/c that happened in texas where i bought the bike, and then i moved up here for school back in november. so i gave up on changing the front sprocket. but my girl just bought me front/rear sprockets, chain, and two bros exhaust. so i thought maybe ill give that nut another try, but no luck. im going to the dealer probly tomorrow and see what they have to say. worse case scenario ill just cut it off. if you think of anything to try let me know.

Old 04-23-2008, 01:43 AM

UPDATE....

I went back to the bike tonight, and i have tried everything i know of, and it will not budge. ALSO, i noticed it wouldn't shift higher than neutral..... so i'm at a loss. but once i get the other parts in and get the dam* thing back together im taking it to the dealer to see what they can do..

Old 04-23-2008, 04:06 AM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

you need to get some friends. 4 total, one on each side of the bike, guy on left stablizing the bike, guy on right holding front and rear brake. put the bike in 1st. you get a 4 foot extension on a breaker bar and jump on that **** and the 4th guy holding your beer and helping the brake man keep it steady.

Old 04-24-2008, 12:30 AM

yea already tried with a couple friends. two problems: no rear brakes.... and no beer

but thanks for the suggestion lol

Old 04-24-2008, 04:04 AM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

piece of wood like speed suggested in the other thread. it will work, just drink more beer