General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Front Fork Locks on a 500

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator
Default Front Fork Locks on a 500

I can't seem to get the front fork lock to work on my bike. Does anyone know what I should try to see if I can fix it? Couldn't find anything in my manual.

Old 02-09-2005, 03:07 AM
c10
Default RE: Front Fork Locks on a 500

Turn the bars all the way left,insert key and turn all the way left to were it say lock. You might have to move the handle bars a little to alow the locking pin into its hole in the frame. If that still dosent solve it remove the key and turn it 180 degrees around and repeat the first steps over. Last still not working is the key acopy or origanl,if a copy it could be off a bit ,but if oe than you might need a new ignition switch.Let me Know how it goes.

Old 02-09-2005, 04:52 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

need more info on why it is not working??

is the cylinder moving in the ignition?? its it not lined up right ??

Old 02-09-2005, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: c10

Turn the bars all the way left,insert key and turn all the way left to were it say lock. You might have to move the handle bars a little to alow the locking pin into its hole in the frame. If that still dosent solve it remove the key and turn it 180 degrees around and repeat the first steps over. Last still not working is the key acopy or origanl,if a copy it could be off a bit ,but if oe than you might need a new ignition switch.Let me Know how it goes.
[sm=thanx.gif], I have already tried part of this, I basically turned the bars completely to the left and tried the lock, I didn't move them around any (I'll try that). I have two keys, both are originals, I have tried them both. I tried the fork locks just after I got the bike, I haven't tried recently and unfortunately, I don't think I have enough room in the shed to turn the wheel, I'll have to check on that.

ORIGINAL: onewheel
is the cylinder moving in the ignition?? its it not lined up right ??
To be honest, I am not sure. I'll have to pay closer attention to those details when I try again. I know the bike was knocked over in a driveway before I bought it and the mirror got busted off the bike, do you think that something else may have been damaged when this happened?

Thanks for the help and suggestions guys! I appreciate it.

Old 02-10-2005, 03:31 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

If the wheel was locked when it went down it could have bent the locking shaft in the ignition..
does ether one of the bar ends have damage on it ? and how much?
maybe the previous owner was able to get the locking shaft back inside the ignition.

was the bike stored outside, in the rain and elements? If so the ignition could be just a little locked up.. get some penetrating oil and spray it down the key hole, and work the key around in the ignition. Try to get some buy the locking shaft too.

Old 02-10-2005, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator

There doesn't appear to be any damage and as far as I know the guy always stored the bike inside. But I think this weekend I'll try some penetrating oil and see if that works, thanks for the suggestion. I don't know what I'd do without you guys