General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Fork Seal and Bushing question...

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 03:28 PM
Default Fork Seal and Bushing question...

I got the forks ripped apart on my Z-1000 and am ready to reassemble and have now realized that the special tool for setting the bushings and seals doesn't appear to be optional... Do I really have any options here other than spending $110 on the tool? I tried calling a local shop and they wanted $50 and a week of time for the 5 minutes of work........

If I had known inverted forks were this much of a PITA, I would have just took them in to the shop in the first place.....

Old 10-23-2009, 03:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Welcome To Kawasaki Forums.
Turn On Some Tunes And Enjoy The Ride.
They're a lot of Good Members Here and they will do there Best to Help You out with Your Questions. Sometimes It Takes A Little Longer Then Others. So, hang-in there.

Old 10-23-2009, 11:45 PM
1st Gear Member

A 2 1/2" ID piece of PVC pipe makes a great fork seal driver. Also use the old seal to protect the new one. I say a 2 1/2" in if the forks are 43mm like my ZRX.

Edit. Brain fart. Upside down forks ain't same as conventional. I don't think the PVC pipe will work. Sorry

Last edited by KevyzToy; 10-23-2009 at 11:51 PM.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:56 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Kevy might be onto something. Might try cutting about 1/3 of the side of the PVC so the smaller "fork" would slide thru parallel; like a collar. Place the old seal over the new seal (as suggested) and then use a small-medium mallet to tap around the top edge of the PVC as you slide it around. Apply masking tape, duct tape, whatever, to the smaller diameter fork to protect against mallet impact. (Use rubber mallet.)
Considerably cheaper and worth a try....?

Old 10-24-2009, 02:25 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

I always preferred the weight of the $70 tool. tink, tink and the seal is in place.

Old 10-24-2009, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by KevyzToy
A 2 1/2" ID piece of PVC pipe makes a great fork seal driver. Also use the old seal to protect the new one. I say a 2 1/2" in if the forks are 43mm like my ZRX.

Edit. Brain fart. Upside down forks ain't same as conventional. I don't think the PVC pipe will work. Sorry
LMAO.... I was thinking the exact same thing and that was why I tried to do it myself in the first place.... My previous bike was an old 85' Interceptor, with standard forks... What you described was exactly what I had done on that one..... It wasn't till I started the reassembly that I thought "Crap, this isn't gonna work..."

I actually tried it anyway, splitting the PVC pipe to make it like a colllar.... I really kinda looked at the setup I had going and decided this was one area I shouldn't cut corneres on... lol

This leads to the next part of my story....

So I call a local Dealer and explain the situation and ask what it would cost just to bring the forks in and have them seat the bushings and seals.... $50... ouch, but OK, can I just bring them in and wait?... No... It will take a week........

I know people run businesses to make money and all, but you're gonna charge me $50 for 6 minutes worth of work and make me wait a week on top of it?...... Oh, and the shop is 15 miles away with no real good expressway route....

KK, thanks for letting me vent that.... lol

Ok, so I know someone mentioned a cheaper tool? If I got to spend the $50 I much rather spend it on the tool, that way if by some chance I have to do this again, I'm set... Any idea where I can get it? I measured the forks and they are 41mm pipes.....

Thanks!

Old 10-24-2009, 10:05 PM

OH, and before anyone gets the wrong idea I'm usually a fan of doing everything the right way all the time, but I'm a victim of the current economy and have been unemployed for the past month... Part of the reason I need to make sure the bike is in good shape was in case I have to sell it....

Old 10-24-2009, 11:06 PM
1st Gear Member

No other bike shops around? Even if they are another brand? I have used the Honda dealer to work on my KLX.

Don't know if this helps but I found the service Manual online here

seal drivers here

tools here

Parts here

Amazon has Race Tech drivers here

Maybe this will help?

Last edited by MaverickAus; 10-24-2009 at 11:09 PM.
Old 10-24-2009, 11:09 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

yeah, the race tech drivers are the ones I use.

Old 10-25-2009, 12:15 AM

O M G .... I never thought for a second that other companies would make aftermarket stuff like that.... I fixated on the factory tool..... There IS actually a Honda and a Triumph dealer that are both closer; again, I was fixating on "factory" stuff....

I searched on ebay and found a set for 35$ shipped....

Problem solved.... And when I have to do this again in about 5 years, I'll have the tool... lol

And thanks for the links, Mav! If I stumble across anyother special tools that I HAVE to have, I'll know where to check first.... lol

Next up: I have a small leak coming from the valve gasket.... lol

Quick Reply: Fork Seal and Bushing question...