General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Fork Seal

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 02:11 AM
Default Fork Seal

I have a 1983 KZ440 LTD Belt Drive. The oil seal on one of the forks is leaking. Does anyone have any suggestions or tricks to replacing it?

Thanks

Old 06-19-2007, 04:15 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Fork Seal

There are a couple of special tools needed to do a fork seal repacement on any ride. Plus the service manual or the race techor traxxion vids are helpfull.
Welcome to the forums.

Old 06-30-2007, 12:02 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Another trick is: first to grain the fluid completely, remove/ slide upthe dust seal above the fork seal, then remove the fork seal retaining circlip. If it has air caps, then te a rag tightly around the outer fork leg and use air pressure to pop the seal out. It worked great on the earlier Ninja 600's.

The second method is to remove the bottom Allen bolt, then the fork cap &springsand just slide the outer fork leg up & down to pot the seal out like a slide hammer.

The newer inverted forks require special tools.

Old 07-04-2007, 04:07 AM
1st Gear Member

Depending of the type of fork, hmm you want some helpful hints? measure the distant from the top of triple tree clamp to the top of the fork and write the number down, do this for both sides it will aid in re-install, get some latex gloves and what nots if your finikey about your hands, when putting all the new seals back on, Please place a sandwhich bag over the top of the fork in doing this you wont cut the dog crap out of the seals and end up replacing them later on, give me a minute and ill tell you how to take the forks apart step by step for your model

Old 07-04-2007, 04:21 AM
1st Gear Member

first take the tube off the unit, next unscrew the top nut, dump all the oil out, the spring might also come out soo watch yourself, next loosely tighten the fork cap back on flip the fork upside down then take the bolt and washer out of the bottom, then right up the fork slide the dust seal off by CAREFUL prying, i use a number 1 flat wrapped in duct tape, slide that bad boy off, next is the circlip, un do that monster, then use the slide hammer method to get them apart, when apart the oil seal should be on the inner tube, pull that off, and throw it away, now cover the top of the fork with a baggie and slide the new one on, numbers should be UP so you can read them, ok now slide the inner back into the outer, tighten the bottom bolt, push the oil seal down inside the outer, with a bearing driver or two screwdriver covered in ducttape, install cir clip, put dust seal back on, put spring back in , now this is the only part i dont know call your local kawi dealer and ask them how much oil goes in the front fork, put that much in, and then put the cap back ok, and reinstall ..........wow if i missed anything please someone let me know its late and im heading to dennys, hope this helps you partner if not just leave me a private message and ill help you as much as i can

Old 07-11-2007, 04:56 PM

wow that looks really helpful, how about a little help with my 2001 zx9? i need to replace the fork seals also and was hoping for a little help before i tackle the job myself.

Old 07-11-2007, 06:35 PM

nevermind guys i found a manual thanks to one of the other posts i found on here. thanks anyway though.