General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Fixing a friends bike need advise

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 11:42 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Fixing a friends bike need advise

Greetings ! I am working on a 1985 GPZ900. I fought with the carbs to get them off and I knew their would be another battle to get them in but was wondering if the "kawi gods" may throw some advise my way. Is there a sequence ? Air box then boots then carbs ect.. 2nd I replaced the clutch and springs and put back together , job went well. I added the oil. I have not fired bike up (due to carb install road block) BUT when I manualy place bike in gear and apply the clutch the tire wont move or the clutch does not seem to engage. HOWEVER when I completed the clutch job I activated the cluth lever and observed the clutch mechanism move as it should. My question is does the bike need to be started and run first , maybe build oil pressure up in the clutch basket or something? Thanks for the help !

Jesse

Old 06-17-2013, 12:48 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Welcome to KF and the life of a rider. lol

I replace the carb boots period for a ride of that age. Even my KZ was a b**** and the friends honda. No more on that scenario.

Not sure on the clutch question. soak 'em run them' generally how it runs around here.

Old 06-17-2013, 03:30 AM
1st Gear Member

Roger that on the replacement of boots i was thinking about tossing for new anyways. As for the clutch "issue" i may a leak at the left side of motor kind of a wet hiss sound when i pull clutch lever. But i dont see an obvious leak anywhere. I will pull it appart after i get bike running and verify that problem does not solve itself. I will update my findings. Have a good one.

Jesse

Old 06-26-2013, 05:47 AM
1st Gear Member

**UPDATE** Carbs are now in place (after some trail and error ..mostly error) and gas tank was installed and the bike when started RACED and I quickly shut it off before it blew up my garage. I checked the boots , throttle cable and choke , everything seemed ok. Not sure if the carb idle screw being off (I know I may have bumped and moved it sometime while I relocated it in garage during the build) would cause this condition. Any ideas?

Jesse