General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

FI + LED indicator flashing Z750

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 05:53 PM
Default FI + LED indicator flashing Z750

Hello, I would like buy an used kawasaki z750. I checked it today and I noticed the red LED indicator is flashing and the LCD display write FI. I find in the manual, how can I check the error code, and it says:

34 [Exhaust butterfly valve actuator sensor mailfunction, wiring open or short.]

results: The ECU locks the exhaust butterfly valve at full open position near, and it stops the current to the exhaust butterfly valve acturator.

So, Im and my friend who ride 10yrs ago test the bike with a quick run, and its sounds, and run well. But this sensor problem very annoying.

I would like ask, the bike performance is lower then normal because this sensor problem, or its doesnt matter at all?

Also I would like know ~how much the repair cost? Should I replace the all exhaust system or not?

Thanks!

Old 06-15-2010, 09:17 AM
1st Gear Member

The butterfly valve injects air into the exhaust to burn any unburnt fuel and gives cleaner emissions. With aftermarket silencers this can result in popping and bakfiring, so it's fairly common for the valve to be plugged or removed.

If it's removed, you get the EFI error, unless the wires have been linked with a resistor.

It isn't a problem, but on a bike that you're thinking of buying I'd check what, if anything, has been done to this valve in case the error is indicative of something else that's been poorely maintained. If the valve is stock and has failed, you can remove or plug it if you're not too bothered about a clean exhaust, and link the wires to get rid of the EFI light.

It has no effect on performance.

If this is a first bike for you, buy a smaller one anyway.

Rob