General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

E85 Hazards

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member
Default E85 Hazards

I recently read a magazine article about some of the problems with using E85. Apparently it likes to separate within a matter of very short time, and will also dissolve the glue used in fiberglas fuel tanks. I realize this is a little off topic, but I thought the resulting problems of fuel separation and having resin enter your fuel system (or other contaminants later in your fuel path which have been degraded) might interest anyone out there who might be tempted to experiment under the impression of being environmentally conscious.
Just always be careful when considering adding stuff to your gas tank, whether it's E85, gas treatment, or other chemicals that may give you a whole lot more than you bargained for.
I've used Chevron Techron with good results, but don't make it a regular habit to experiment with attractive bottles on the Wal Mart shelves.
Again, just a word of caution on additives.

Old 12-20-2007, 09:56 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: E85 Hazards

i was wondering how that stuff would be in our bike motors?

Old 12-22-2007, 12:27 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

With all the hoopla concerning the environment, I think it's tempting for people to be strolling down the aisles at Wal Mart or other places (like when you"re shopping with the wife) and go to the auto section looking for eye-catching bottles of "stuff" thatappear to be the next best thing since nitrous for your engine, in terms of performance gain, thorough combustion, "helps your engine," and other snake oil like claims. Some of these products can make your gas turn into something you DON'T want your engine burning.
Another scenario: You're riding along, needing to stop for a fill-up, and notice the E85 pump, and think "Hmmm, I wonder if the alcohol content in this stuff would actually improve my engine performance?" and proceed to try a half a tankfull, after all, the alcohol and other additiveswould burn "cleaner" and thus, help keep thecombustion crud to a minimal level, right?
It's kinda like the people who pour bleach down their drains(toilets, etc.) and then to make it shine, or smell better, or whatever, proceed to pour a chemically basic substance on top of the bleach, and can't understand why their PVC pipes just melted.
Don't play backyard chemist with your bike. Turbo Blue, Kozak (that funny smell of racebike fuel), and otherstuff may work just fine, but don'tassume some custom combination of performance additives will suddenly turn your bike into a salt flats record holder. I'm obviously stretching the metaphor a bit, but I'm basically just encouraging riders, especially newer ones and younger ones, to avoid the "magic potion" trap, and the resulting expense of a rebuild. I don't want to answer those posts with a "what the heck were you thinking!!??"

Old 12-25-2007, 12:37 AM

dont forget about the e 10 crap and its hydroscopic witch means that it draws moisture out of the air and deposits it in the bottom of your tank