General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

diagnosing ZZR600, running on two cylinders.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 01:26 AM
Default diagnosing ZZR600, running on two cylinders.

My 06 ZZR600 is only running on two cylinders.

Bike starts up just fine, but when cold, cylinders 1-3 will run then it will drop cylinder 1 when warmed up. So when warmed up and running, cylinders 1 and 4 are cold (spray test).

running through the tests in the manual it seems the pick up coil is out of spec. 30ohms over the specified max and it only returns .12 volts max unstead of the 3.8v.

Im not sure if in doing the max voltage correct since im not following the manuals procedure exact, i just use my fluke 115 and set it to record the max DC volts.

However when i ground out the plugs they all have a good strong spark.

could it still be the pickup coil? would this only affect cylinders 1 and 4?

Any other possible causes?

Old 03-22-2010, 02:06 AM
1st Gear Member

The pickup coil probably wont cause a problem on only 2 cylinders. Have you checked the ignition coil? Sometimes a bad coil can work fine when cold then stop when it heats up, my bike has 2 coils one for 1&4 and another for 2&3, So if one went bad it would just effect two of the cylinders. Let us know how it goes, and Welcome to KF!

Old 03-22-2010, 02:58 AM

thanks for the welcome!

I thought about that at first but this bike only has one IC igniter and its passed all the tests in the service manual. And from what ive read on these forums an IC igniter is a pretty robust part.

Old 03-22-2010, 04:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Well I suppose if your getting a strong spark off the dead cylinders you may have a different problem entirely, should have read your post closer. I have heard of timing problems that still run with one or two cylinders gone, but not very often and the cylinders shouldnt work intermittently. How did the problem start? Was the bike sitting? Are you getting fuel to the cylinders? Have the carbs been cleaned? I'm not gonna rule out the ECU, but I'm not smart enough to diagnose the electronics on these new fangled bikes. Good luck, let us know what you find.

Old 03-23-2010, 01:02 AM

The bike was sitting for a couple months.

But ive torn the carbs down and cleaned everything out. That was the first thing I did along with changing the gas in the tank.

I can see the fuel spray when i rev and even if i just let the bike idle the plugs are wet on the dead cylinders.

Which is the most confusing part since i can see a spark if i ground the plug outside of the cylinder but its getting fuel so it should fire.

Well ive ordered a new pick up coil and will see if that does it, but if anyone has other ideas let me know.

Old 03-23-2010, 01:26 AM
1st Gear Member

Its a mystery to me, air+fuel+spark=boom, the only x factor is timing, hopefully the new coil will work out. I'm just waiting for Dragone to weigh in and show me the light. Keep us updated.

Old 03-23-2010, 03:55 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

98-99 g and h models

pickup coil resistance should be 380-570 ohms.
ignition coil winding resistance: primary 2.6-3.2 ohms. secondary 13.5-16.5k ohms

ignition coil/plug spark distance of 8mm or more.

Just comparing specs and your initial checks.

Welcome to KF

Old 04-01-2010, 11:26 PM

Swapped in the new pickup coil and still nothing.

1 and 4 are still cold. Swapped the coils around and plugs, but the problems stays in the 1 and 4 cylinders.

The manual says next step is to change out the IC igniter but thats a $300 dollar part and i would hate to get that part to find out thats not it either.

Thanks for the welcome, hope i can solve this soon.

Old 04-02-2010, 12:04 AM
1st Gear Member

Check with the parts fiche, I have not checked myself, but any igniter from a 98-02 ZX6R or 03-08 ZZR600 should work. With 10 years of parts hopefully you can find someone who will let you swap it and see if it helps, or find one cheap on ebay. Used electronics are a crap shoot but if you can find a good deal you might want to take the chance. Keep us informed.

Old 04-02-2010, 05:06 AM

HA! I didnt even think of getting used parts from ebay.

The price i found is from mrcycles, but theres two on ebay for half the price of a new one.

Heres another symptom, i havent checked with a thermometer but cylinder 1 definitely runs cooler than 2 and 3 as the water dosent sizzle off nearly as quickly. Cylinder 4 the water just sits there when sprayed down.

In an older bike with shared coils 1 and 4 would be tied and this would be easier to understand.

Does anyone know if the cylinders share a common ground or if they are paired 1-4, 2-3?

Well i will keep this thread updated with what i find out in case someone else has this pita issue.

Last edited by point45; 04-02-2010 at 05:11 AM.

Quick Reply: diagnosing ZZR600, running on two cylinders.