General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

cylinder pitting, after replating please reply

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 03:16 AM
Default cylinder pitting, after replating please reply

I just got my cylinder replated, and it took what felt like forever!
I jsut got it back tonight and was so mad about the price (they promise no more than 250, and I paid 318) that i just left the shop without looking at it.
yes, stupid me

so i get home and i get a good look at it, and this is what i find...

[IMG]https://home.comcast.net/~fingernipple/pitting1.JPG
[/IMG]
https://home.comcast.net/~fingernipple/pitting1.JPG

I'm not happy. There is excessive pitting in it. Has anyone delt with this before, is this normal? is this as bad as i think it is?
I can feel each and every pit with my finger, they are indented, and this worries me, that its just going to chip, and I should have gotten a better job for my money.
So, take a look, and PLEASE tell me your opion (as i go complain to the dealer again)

Old 03-22-2007, 03:25 AM
Default RE: cylinder pitting, after replating please reply

Dude that doesn't look good at all. A cylinder wall should be smooth free of anything so as to allow for proper compression. Nothing for nothing but that is crap ,they should have known better and they should have told you about it.I would not even attempt to do anything with that. I've been working on motors for about 19 years.

Old 03-22-2007, 06:56 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

I would be sending that cylinder back pronto! Question, was it that pitted when you sent it in?

Old 03-22-2007, 02:39 PM

i thought i would get this type of response... (damnit!)

I'm using my lunch break to bring it back in and talk to the service guy who said "it looks good" cause i want either a refund, or a free replating
My boyfriend says i should get free replating plus 80 bucks in merchandise. That would be nice... but i doubt it. I have a feeling I'll be arguing my whole lunch break.[sm=boosign.gif][sm=boosign.gif]

to answer your question... no, it wasn't pitted before. It was nice and smooth in most parts, I only got it replated because there were 2 vertical gauges, one of which was deep enough to cause problems down the line.

Old 03-22-2007, 07:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Yep, that dont look right[>:]

Old 03-23-2007, 06:22 AM

okay, so heres the update for today...
as predicted I spent my entire lunch break arguing with my dealership. and my afternoon, and after i left work... My boyfriend was even trying to help out on the arguing side, but they hung up on him! so i finally got someone in the dealership with enough sence to give me the number to the place they sent my cylinder out to get replated. I sent the contact there a picture of my cylinder., told him i was not satified, and he agrees that it looks horrible "it never should have left the building" (sigh of relief)
so i'm shipping it off tomorrow for another go. (no charge) and minus the middle man (the dealership)

so lets all hope that it ships fast both ways and returns looking as it should.

I'll post a picture of the new job when all is done.

thank you for all your comments. I used all the responses as proof that my cylinder came back crappy, and everyone agrees with me that it looks crappy. the only ones that thought it was fine were the people at midtown kawasaki.
I don't recommend them to anyone. Horrible customer service from the owner, no ownership of responsibility, they over charge, and they never call you back! I'll be looking for a new local spot to get my gear. I'll never go back to them again.

Old 03-23-2007, 07:58 AM
1st Gear Member

Make sure you contact the dealership and advise them as to what the contact said and what is being done... so maybe next time they get their head out of their asses and use some brains in treating their customers.

Old 03-23-2007, 02:35 PM

oh thanks srobak, almost forgot to mention...
I did talk to the dealership last night to tell them what happened with the plating company. The dealership, still didnt take responsibility, or apoligize, but they told me that they aren't going to offer replaing services anymore after this, said it's too much hassle being the middle man. I never got the opportunity to tell off the jerk that hung up on my boyfriend and yelled at me all afternoon telling me that "the cylinder is fine" and "we're the experts" 20 times over... but I passed on the message that the owner of the store sucks at customer service, I was right, he was wrong, he needs help, I'll never come back to the store again... all the basics

I also plan on letting the masses know what they could potentially get themselves into by getting service done with this dealership. Horray for internet and freedom of speech!

Old 03-23-2007, 05:46 PM
1st Gear Member

If they were the experts - they wouldn't be farming it out.

Good luck with the re-replating

Old 03-23-2007, 06:07 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Not Cool!!! That's unacceptable, I would threaten to stand outside their place of business or across the street as to avoid trespassing, and hold a sign that explains how they conduct business. They say there is no negative publicity.......Right. I bet if you just tell them what you will do that is all it will take to get this resolved. POWER TO THE PEOPLE!!!!![:@] Ok deej settle down and get another cup of coffee.[8D]

Quick Reply: cylinder pitting, after replating please reply