General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Click, Click, Click

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 02:50 AM
Default Click, Click, Click

I can't get my '02 EX500R to turn over. During hibernation I made the mistake of boiling my battery. Anyway I've got a new battery hooked it up, everything seemed business a usual. All lights were on including headlamp and neutral indicater. I pulled back the choke and was ready to fire it up for my first ride up here in Canada. I pressed the starter button and nothing happened except the headlamp and neutral light are out. I've checked all fuses(including the main) all connections are tight. All that I here is a click in the starter relay? The funny part is that I tried to bump start and that turned on the headlamp. Headlamp does not come on with the key. My battery reads 12.5 volts. Does anyone no where to find the neutral sensor or how to check it. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks EH!

Old 03-26-2007, 07:54 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Click, Click, Click

The new battery that you bought, did you have to fill it up with electrolytes (battery acid)??? If you did, you know you have to charge it first. Good battery voltage doesn't necessarily equate to a fully charged battery.

I don't think you have a bad safety switch, or you wouldn't even get the "click click click" sound coming off the starter relay, or starter solenoid.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

Mark.

Old 03-26-2007, 11:38 PM

My charger is showing me that the battery is fully charged. And still no luck. What could explain my neutral indicator not working.

Old 03-27-2007, 01:41 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: molly

My charger is showing me that the battery is fully charged. And still no luck. What could explain my neutral indicator not working.
That is weird. But like Mark said you can have a battery that you think is all charged up reading 12+ volts but is basically dead as far as cranking amps goes. My suggestion for anyone having battery issues or having trouble starting a bike is to jump it from a car. It will tell you whether or not the battery was the culprit. I use a battery tender in the winter one day a week if I'm not riding, its awesome. Having a 12v accessory plug that I can plug the battery maintainer right into makes it even easier. No removing number plates ever again.

Old 03-27-2007, 03:46 AM
1st Gear Member

I can check later to see where the neutral indicator switch is. Checking it shouldn't be anything more than using a multimeter, and checking for continuity between the switch'selectricalterminals. That switch should only be an "on-off" switch, nothing fancy about it.

Old 03-27-2007, 10:09 AM
1st Gear Member

The switch is part#13151 in this picture. Looks like it would be right by your shift lever.