General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Chain maintenance Diesel Oil or Kerosine?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 12:02 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Chain maintenance Diesel Oil or Kerosine?

Hey all,

In my Kwaka manual for chain maintenance it says use SAE90 gear oil, and if it gets dirty clean it with either Diesel Oil or Kerosine.

OK, so what exactly is Diesel Oil ? Is that regular Diesel fuel you get from any gas station? If so, that's easy enough.. Failing that, where can I find some kerosine?

My bike is constantly on trails and thus the chain gets dirty and dry quick.

Thanks

Old 02-28-2011, 01:19 AM
1st Gear Member

Personal opinion, don't use any sort of cleaner that may work past the O-rings (I take it the 250 has an O-ring chain). Kerosene or WD40 may penetrate past the O-rings and thin out the sealed in grease in the high wear chain pin area. In addition NEVER EVER PRESSURE WASH YOUR CHAIN. I don't even spray directly on it with a garden hose. Similar reason - the pressure can blow water past the O-ring displacing the grease with water.

The best thing is to spray a lot of chain lube on the chain and wipe off the excess with the dirt. I get 15,000 miles for sure out of my chain and sprockets, riding a lot of dusty dirty conditions. I don't wallow in mud, so that's not in the mix. I am notoriously bad at keeping things really well lubed, so maybe it could go a bit longer, but I go by the look of the sprockets, the hooking. At the replacement I usually have some tight links, but nothing horrible.

I will say my brother used to dump 90W gear lube on his chain and it did fine, but chain lube is easier, cleaner, and clings better.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:16 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

hmm, I use diesel as a cleaner most of the time. Let the chain soak, brush it down, then lube it once and then again after a wipe down after the ride is warmed up. WD 40 after each run for cleaning. Not sure on the Kerosene yet. I use JB for lubing. As mentioned above, pressure washing is a bad thing.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:12 PM
1st Gear Member

I think in the manual it says do not use WD40 because you don't want it to penetrate the o-rings. It says use Kerosine or Diesel Oil... So when they say 'Diesel Oil', are they meaning just regular diesel that you get from a gas station?

Then they say (once again according to the manual) use a heavy SAE90 oil to lube. I'm just going to go with what they recommend. I've ordred the SAE90 gear oil, just need to get either some Kerosine or Diesel Oil. Which is easy is that's just what you get from a gas station.

Old 03-01-2011, 02:39 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

I use the diesel fuel from the gas station for my parts washer. Not saying that is the correct one though, but just the one I have been using.

Old 03-01-2011, 11:10 AM
1st Gear Member

Failing that, where can you buy Kerosine ?

Old 03-15-2011, 07:43 AM

Well from my experience, i am using diesel for Chain maintenance. & if you can get any used oil from any vehicles than it is best. I heard it from vehicle engineers. You can go for diesel & oil.

Old 03-20-2011, 03:41 PM

I use kerosene. You can pick it up at Menards, Orschelins, or Ace Hardware. Ace sells it in a gallon jug for $10 or you can bring in your own container and they will fill it.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Kerosene is sold at some gas stations in the US. They will typically only

fill a regulation BLUE plastic Kerosene tank. The stuff dissolves oil and dirt

amazing well and your chain will sparkle like a babies bottom! I have used it

successfully and it is safe for "O" rings. I now use WD-40 which is almost as

good but still works. Any non-fling "O" ring safe chain lub will do as well.

Happy Chain = Happy Rider!

Old 03-31-2011, 08:44 PM
blb
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Many owners manuals state to use kerosene..

Quick Reply: Chain maintenance Diesel Oil or Kerosine?