General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

carb problems again

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 01:41 AM
Default carb problems again

while cleaning my carbs out again i took off the top plate where the diaphragm is and it was practically impossible to put back on, i finally got it back on but i think i messed it up, my question is what is the diaphragm for and will that prevent the bike from starting?

cause my bike still wont start

Old 07-29-2006, 02:41 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: carb problems again

Diaphragm very important, has something to do with the vacuum and affects the rate of the AF I believe. Their are others here like Birig18wheeler how probably can answer this better

Pics for us to see will help a lot. I can tell you though that if you did not remove all the diaphragms and needles when you cleaned the carbs you did not clean them correctly. Also the cover for the diaphragm has a small little tube on the diaphragm seal and a corresponding place for it to fit in on the carb assembly and the covers too. To say it more clearly they only can go back together one way.

Pictures!

Old 07-29-2006, 09:20 AM
1st Gear Member

If you damaged the diaphragm by either tearing it, or putting the top cover on with the diaphragm not completely in tact, you will lose the vacuum that pulls up the needle/piston assembly. If your needle doesn't rise along with the engine revs, you won't get the fuel you need in your engine, plus the un-raised piston blocks the air flow in whichever cylinder the carb barrel is affecting.

your engine would still start, but if leaking vacuum, it would die very easily especially on a 2cyl engine.

Old 07-29-2006, 09:37 PM

thank you, very informative. Time to take the carb back apart, any tips on how to get the diaphragm placed right?

Old 07-29-2006, 09:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Not too much I can tell you about setting the diaphragm in correctly. Just be eye level with the space between the carb and cover. If you have a thin pick, or thin flat-head screwdriver, you could use one of those to guide the lip of the diaphragm gasket.

Good luck.

Old 07-30-2006, 12:17 AM
Super Moderator

it is not hard to get it back in place, only hard if you are doing it wrong. So if you are strugeling look at it closer and you will see it.

What about the pics, are yolu able to post them or what?

Old 07-30-2006, 05:09 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sublime

while cleaning my carbs out again i took off the top plate where the diaphragm is and it was practically impossible to put back on, i finally got it back on but i think i messed it up, my question is what is the diaphragm for and will that prevent the bike from starting?

cause my bike still wont start

The diaphragm is the CV carbs buddy.

Old 07-30-2006, 11:18 PM

k i will try to get pics up as soon as i find that damn digital camera...

Old 08-04-2006, 07:43 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

It 's easier when you push the slide all the way up from the carb throat against the cap and then try to install/ align the diaphragm.