General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Car oil ? Will it screw up my bike ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 02:20 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Car oil ? Will it screw up my bike ?

ORIGINAL: shinobi636

FYI. Japanese spark plug mfrs. count down as they get hotter: a cr9e is colder that a cr6e, and American mfrs. get hotter as they go up a rj17yc is hotter than a rj12yc. I just learned this a little while ago. when at the parts store with the "old man", and they didn't have the plug he needed. he asked if they one a range hotter the guy looked at him like he was crazy, so he explained it to him, and I learned something new.
HMMMM[sm=interesting.gif]

Old 06-12-2007, 03:04 AM

I was afraid to use car oil myself, since most of the research I did seemed to tell me that you never really know the 'perfect' choice of oil for your bike. Additives in regular automotive oil can wear wet clutches, while synthetics can apparently be bad for an engine that was worn in with regular oil (even though I have also seen much info to the contrary as well). I went what I believed to be the safe route and I use Valvoline 4-Stroke motorcycle oil in my '96 ZX-6R, an oil made for especially to "protect wet clutches" and to "perform at high RPMs", or so the bottle says. Either way, it is only a bit more expensive than regular Valvoline, and nowhere near as expensive as any type of synthetic. Happy continued oil research!

Old 06-12-2007, 12:41 PM

Yes, there is a lot of BS to wade through on the subject of Motorcycle oils, ESPECIALLY when it comes to Synthetics...

Too Many Old Wive's Tales... You have to break your engine in... Unless you have Hard Chrome Cylinders and Rings, there is NO Break in period for switching oils.

You can't switch back to regular oil: Another BS story.. switch any time..

You can't switch an older engine.... Yes you can.

The Dealer says it will void my Warranty... Key word, SAYS,..... No it won't.. They are trying to use a Scare Tactic to keep uou In House.. Ask for that in writing on company letterhead signed by the owner or general Mgr... You'll never get it..

Synthetics, True Synthetics,WILL, give you More HP, Better fuel mileage, cooler running engine, smoother shifts, fewer false neutrals, easier to find neutral.. Etc...

Doc

Old 06-12-2007, 03:44 PM

Yeah unfortunatly Synthetic when it comes to oils, does not mean the process by which it is created. It describes a level of performance from the oil.A performance level that was decided a long time ago with old oil tech. Oil companies can legally put synthetic on the bottle of dino juice.

Old 06-12-2007, 04:24 PM

That is not totally true... Not a lie either.. BUT... The oil must be a Group III Basestock to be called synthetic..

I think this is unfortunateas the consumers can be duped by terminology allowed by law.. ie: "Full Synthetic" "Fully Synthetic"

Castrol SynTec is a Prime example of a Hydro-Cracked oil (Low Group III) that touts the word Synthetic. Rotella T "Fully Synthetic is another. According to their own MSDS Sheets it is 92-98.9 % Petroleum oil.

Also, for your bikes, look for the JASO Rating of at least MA, MA 2 if you can find it (not MB).

I personally use AMSOIL and sell it at cost to several thousand bikers.

Doc

Old 06-13-2007, 10:40 PM

I came across an article once that tested for 'ash' from motor oils. Amsoil I believe had the least followed by Mobil 1.

Being a newbie, I don't mind the redundant info that gets posted. I would rather ask a newbie question than pay a stupid amount of money for a repair. Keep it coming!!

Old 06-14-2007, 01:56 AM

www.amsoil.com/lit/g2156.pdf this is a link to 28 pages of Certified Tests on 26 Motorcycle oils.

Rule of thumb that I use is Always look for the JASO Rating on the bottle, not some counter person or parts changer telling you it is.

Look for a Rating of MA or better yet MA 2 ... NOT anMB rating...

Using synthetics will give you smoother shifts, less false neutrals and a few other things as well..

Doc

Old 06-14-2007, 04:03 PM

Just to throw this in---what would be wrong, if anything in using oil for diesel engines? They have no additives, preservatives, or high fructose stuff, and come in different weights. ( 5w-40. 10w40 etc etc)

Old 06-14-2007, 07:12 PM

ALL oil have additives.. additives that make an oil better for one purpose or another. Diesel is no different and many are now using friction modifiers as well.

You can run a diesel oil, as long as it is Dual Qualified.. Which means it also carries the proper gasoline engine spec for your bike. (S rating)

Not the best pick, but you can run it..

Just to throw this in...

What would be wrong with using a Motorcycle Specific oil ? One that carries the proper JASO Rating of MA or better yet MA 2, has been designed to work in the high RPM machines of today along with specific Anti-Wear additives, Anti-Rust and Corrossion Inhibitors, High TBN, Low Volatility.

Most of us spend many thousands of dollars on a Motorcycle, spend thousands more to make it "ours" and the try to save a few $$ on oil and filters... Don't make sense to me..

www.amsoil.com/lit/g2156.pdf This is a link to 28 pages ofCertified Tests performed on 26 Motorcycle oils.