General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

cant start bike somebody help me

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 04:56 PM
Default cant start bike somebody help me

when i turn the key on nothing happens checked the bat its not that what could it be

Old 08-07-2009, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

T, let's trouble-shoot a bit, so the next time this occurs you'll have the answer. When you turn the key (most street bikes), you close the circuit between your battery, starter solenoid, and some sort of ECU box. There is also a charging circuit (typically alternator), lighting circuit, and a main fuse bank. In order for the battery to discharge effectively, it needs to be grounded properly. Here we go:
How did you check your battery? How OLD is the battery? Are the cells full, or is it a gel battery? Lights come on but just a "click", or absolutely dead nuts? All wires properly routed and cleanly and securely connected? (No hack-ups with butt connectors and black tape??) Normally, will the bike run? (Not locked-up or anything?)
Kill switch dis-engaged (That was for you, Warlock. Isn't that your fav band?) Ignition switch properly and cleanly connected? Follow the juice with a meter from the battery onward and see where it stops. Do you have a wiring diagram? (Yes; it is a PITA, but if you're gonna ride a bike, it is "**** info.")
What kind of bike is it? (Year, size, miles, details...) Pics help, too.
Welcome to the forums, T. We can probably help you get going.
Gear up; stay safe.

Old 08-08-2009, 12:54 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

I think we get the point, T; your bike won't start.

Old 08-08-2009, 02:22 AM

the bat is less than 4months old the bike is a 07 zzr600 .used a voltage meter so its not the bat. i checked all conections that can be checked without complete disasembly. oh yea when i conect the bat the gauges move for a sec but thats it other than that when the key is turned on the bike is a dead as if the key was off , nothing works just dead duck, no lights no gauges no horn nothing so any ideas would be greatly appreciated i went through all the normal trouble shooting im stumped

Old 08-08-2009, 02:36 AM

its not that is wont start it wont even turn on

Old 08-08-2009, 03:24 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

If you can prove your battery and connections good, time to prove your ignition switch.

Old 08-08-2009, 04:10 PM

how can i prove my ignition switch

Old 08-08-2009, 04:36 PM

ok i tested the ignition its not that what else could it be

Old 08-08-2009, 05:27 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

You need to follow along what jeff mentioned above. It is called "hopscotching" to isolate where the problem exists. Good luck

Old 08-08-2009, 05:39 PM

never mind i found the problem, i lifted the tank and found what i like to call a big fu*#% mess a rat or mousse decided to make a nest under gas tank every wire in the whole bike has been chewed through any ideas how much this is going to cost me

Quick Reply: cant start bike somebody help me