General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Can't max out in 6th gear...

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 12:23 AM
Default Can't max out in 6th gear...

Hello everyone,
I am going to be purchasing a 2001 ZX6R from a private seller. The bike has the usual few scratches on the left side and whatnot... anyway, i have a small concern about the bike though. I would like to get some opinions from the "TECH" people around, before i shell out any money for the bike.

This is what the Seller says:
...the previous owner put an exhaust on the bike and did not rejet the bike. i have spent 500 bucks on a new jet kit and another 400 bucks in tune up. as of right now...the bike runs great from 1 to 5th gear, but it still needs some minor adjustment on the jet kit in order to max out in six gear, so you can ride it in 6 gear up to 7k rpm...
...i am NEW to riding so i dont have much knowledge about bikes. I would like to know if this is a normal problem to have (because the bike was not RE-Jettet originally), or if something MORE damaging could be present (from riding in this condition). The rider promisses that everything is OK except for the 6th gear max-out issue, and says he will give me ALL the time i want to test ride it around for a while!

Should i be concerned about this? Should i still buy it and just get a stock exhaust for it? or should i just take it to a shop and have them fix the problem?

P.S. The seller is very cooperative and provided me with everything i asked for, quickly (ie: VIN #, close-up pics, pic of the ODO...and more). He seems to be a good guy, but you never know when dealing with private sellers![sm=smiley2.gif]

Old 08-02-2006, 01:02 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Can't max out in 6th gear...

Sounds fishy to me. Only problem is that if you want to test it you have to go out and you it at about 160 or more and tat is not very safe. I am not sure what tuning could be done to a jet kit to get sixth gear to operate above 7k or why it would not anyway.

You could spend 85.00 and put the bike on the dyno, tell the operator what the seller is telling you and see what happens.

Wait for some more input, there are some real sharp people here who may have some better answers.

I would not buy it today with out proper evaluation. JMO

Old 08-02-2006, 01:48 AM

thatnks for the input NS, i am in no rush to buy it... i want everything to be OK before i throw down $$$!!!

Old 08-02-2006, 02:56 AM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

ill be straight up with you.....

1. if a jet kit is messed up or a bike is improperly jetted it will run like crap while it is running, not just in 6th gear w.o.t.

2. considering this is your first bike, why and how are you going to go 6 hours to pick it up and then ride it home.

3. imo. look for a bike thats closer, try del amo motorsports in rb, they usually have some desent used bikes as well as long beach ms and mid cities. it would suck to buy your first bike and have it broke down before you got the new toy feeling out of your system. if the bike was close i wouldnt mind checking it out for you.

4. how much street bike riding experience do you really have ?

5. how much mechanicall abillity do you have ?

6. do you you have a ca. "m" endorcement ? if you get popped without it, by by bike.

im oly here to help, not trying to be a dick, you seem like a cool guy and want this bike bad because its a "good deal" and sometimes the best deals turn into the worse. if you want, ill pm you my number and ill answer any questions you have and like i said ill help in any way i can. take care bro and good luck.

Old 08-02-2006, 04:06 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

What Evil said.....

There is somthing else going on there that the seller is not telling you... Just not right. For your first bike, you really should get something without problems. Especially some driveability issues. Even if it's a good deal, which it probably is, you don't want to spend money and all your time working on her...

GL man...

Old 08-02-2006, 07:26 AM

Thanks EVil and all! I hear ya LOUD and CLEAR! i have no problem passing up this deal and looking on!

Just to answer some of your questions EVIL:
I have very little street riding experience (2 weeks) and practically NO mechanical experience. ALso i DO have the "M" on my license and an insurance company standing by for me to choose a bike.

Thanks for your help everyone! I'll keep everyone posted on what i am going to so, and i think it IS best to get a bike that i dont have to worry about breaking down or anything!

(This is why i love these forums! I am brand new here and already feel like family!)

Old 08-02-2006, 07:30 AM
Super Moderator

last bike i bought was used and I must have looked at 12 or more before I came up on my baby. It's worth the wait and patience in the end.

Good luck and you are always welcome here at KF, best people in the world.

Old 08-02-2006, 08:15 AM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

it only takes two wheels and or the desire and passion to ride to be part of the family.

Old 08-02-2006, 08:49 AM

haha yeah! this is actually like my 20th bike i've looked at... but i am just gonna keep on lookin! and i am taking your advice and looking LOCALLY evil!! Thanks!

Old 08-02-2006, 09:06 AM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

we can go scope out the lbc shops on monday if you want, im not sure what my schedual looks like yet but i allways got time to stop and look at bikes.

Quick Reply: Can't max out in 6th gear...