General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 06:22 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Brakes?

My 2001 eliminator 125 has 300 miles and has 90% or more usable rear brake but squeak when I brake especially when braking hard, is this normal for the rear brake? thanks

Old 09-07-2008, 05:04 PM
1st Gear Member

i have a 2007 eliminator and my rear brakes started squeaking too - they now decide to squeak all the time!! lol

check for dirt/dust and excess moisure - first time round mine just needed a good clean

onle thing that also helped me was doing a bit of excessive braking

find youself a car park or empty road and ride along at fairly slow speed, then give the back breaks some excessive heavy braking - don't brake for too long - literally on and off - and obviously try not to brake so as to lock the rear wheel - but it helped to shake off some loose dirt and the squeaking did stop

but in my experience a bit of squeaking was nothing to worry about - it doesn't mean anythings seriously wrong

if you're in a lot of doubt or its really loud and worrying take it to a dealer and talk to them about it.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:09 PM
1st Gear Member

I will do that, thanks.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:19 AM
1st Gear Member

Your bike's been standing around a lot.

Try a few hard applications of the brake. If that has no effect, remove the pads, clean out any crud around the caliper piston, check the caliper mount and that the caliper is free to slide or pivot, and put a dab of copper grease on the back of the pads before you replace them.

Rob

Old 09-08-2008, 01:41 PM
1st Gear Member

I'll take it to the shop, don't have much experience yet.

Old 09-08-2008, 05:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Something to check:::

On smaller cruisers, you will (without realizing) apply slight pressure to the rear brake from your toe touching the pedal. That causes your brake shoes to heat up, causing the squeak.
Try moving the adjuster nut out a few turns, to allow more movement in the pedal. 2 or 3 full turns outward (counter clockwise) should increase the force needed to apply the brake, hence, slight pedal touch won't apply the brake.

Old 09-08-2008, 06:28 PM
1st Gear Member

I give that a try. I think I saw that adjuster nut you talking about when I was changing the oil, I'm learning. I did sign up for motorcycle repair course though. I'm hoping to save me some headache in the future.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:40 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RonInFla
Something to check:::

On smaller cruisers, you will (without realizing) apply slight pressure to the rear brake from your toe touching the pedal. That causes your brake shoes to heat up, causing the squeak.
Try moving the adjuster nut out a few turns, to allow more movement in the pedal. 2 or 3 full turns outward (counter clockwise) should increase the force needed to apply the brake, hence, slight pedal touch won't apply the brake.
I have seen this example. The pads are glazed, noisey and do not work as well compared to when they were quiet.

Old 09-14-2008, 11:33 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by williamr
Your bike's been standing around a lot.

Try a few hard applications of the brake. If that has no effect, remove the pads, clean out any crud around the caliper piston, check the caliper mount and that the caliper is free to slide or pivot, and put a dab of copper grease on the back of the pads before you replace them.

Rob

as the bike has a rear drum brake how do you get to the brake pads in order to clean it all out inside - i had a brief look today while changing the front brake fluid, but couldn't quickly see an obvious way of doing this.

would you have to take the rear wheel off to get to it?

the squeaking for me now won't stop after harsh braking like it used to and as my bike shop is crud they've probly never changed the brake pads so have never opened it up - might as well save me some money and have a look myself - plus i'd like to be able to have a look - another thing to add to the list of things i can do myself

Old 09-15-2008, 11:46 PM
1st Gear Member

You gotta pull the rear wheel off to get to 'em

Quick Reply: Brakes?