General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Brake Problems, Help Please.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 01:47 AM
Exclamation Brake Problems, Help Please.

I have a problem with braking that seems to be getting worse each time I ride.

Basically it's a severe pulsation while using the front brake at low speeds, it feels like I'm pumping the brakes when in reality I'm holding them steady.

Recently, the brakes have started squealing, and even more recently, I'm getting a "squeak.... squeak...... squeak....." when riding at low speeds (no brake).

I've taken the bike to the shop and the report is that the brake pads are fine, and the rotors show no visible signs of warping. That said, they have not taken the wheel off and done measurements of the rotors yet.

I've been searching a LOT of forums on this problem and the possible causes are daunting.

- Warped rotors?
- Rotors with heat spots?
- Gummed up brake calipers?
- Wheel out of balance?
- Old brake fluid?
- Cracked headstock bearing?

Anyone who has previous experience in this sort of situation, please help... my bike is quickly becoming dangerous to ride

Last edited by nated066; 09-09-2011 at 01:49 AM.
Old 09-09-2011, 03:05 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Check your front axle for the proper torque. I had a ZX750 do that from the dealership, the front axle was loose.

Try that first and get back to us.

Welcome to KF

Old 09-09-2011, 03:48 AM
1st Gear Member

I agree with Dragone and also could be a warped rotor. What bike is it? Has the bike been laid over at all? I had to drain the brake fluid in the front and rear of my 05 636r. The brakes were gettin mushy. No lever at all. I changed the nasty fluid and that fixed it. Calipers can get gummed up and stick overtime.

Old 09-09-2011, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Start with the easy stuff. I agree with Drag and Bleed (that sounds weird...sorry.)^
Remove and clean your calipers with soap, water, and gentle toothbrush, around the cups and seals. Make sure the pistons/seals are clean and function smoothly (with fresh brake juice.) Take a (dry) toothbrush-sized brass or stainless brush and clean your brake pad facings. Wear safety glasses; that stuff can be nasty. I would suggest using a light coating of Permatex brake lube around your piston cups and on the backs of the pads, just to help lessen dry part-to-part contact. Remove your front axle and clean/lube the moving parts. Measure the distance between your rotors (stick the rule through the spokes) both INSIDE rotor to rotor, and OUTSIDE rotor to rotor, in 4-5 (i.e. 90 degree) positions, for true-ness. ...and PLEASE use a good quality steel rule; not a Wal Mart yard stick. Buy a good one (Starrett, etc.) if you don't have one. You'll use it the rest of your life. Double check torque on your rotor to hub mounting. Reassemble and torque properly. Also, check your tire alignment front-rear, tire pressures, and fork height in the triple clamp. It may not cause your squeak, but uneven forks can do weird things. If those (inexpensive) suggestions don't work, get back to us.

Gadz: edit..edit. Welcome to the forums, Nated. Glad to have you with us!

Last edited by jeffzx9; 09-09-2011 at 02:59 PM.
Old 09-09-2011, 03:34 PM

Thanks guys,

I will try what has been suggested and get back to you. If I do manage to solve the problem I will post the solution in detail.

Old 09-10-2011, 08:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jeffzx9
Start with the easy stuff. I agree with Drag and Bleed (that sounds weird...sorry.)^
Remove and clean your calipers with soap, water, and gentle toothbrush, around the cups and seals. Make sure the pistons/seals are clean and function smoothly (with fresh brake juice.) Take a (dry) toothbrush-sized brass or stainless brush and clean your brake pad facings. Wear safety glasses; that stuff can be nasty. I would suggest using a light coating of Permatex brake lube around your piston cups and on the backs of the pads, just to help lessen dry part-to-part contact. Remove your front axle and clean/lube the moving parts. Measure the distance between your rotors (stick the rule through the spokes) both INSIDE rotor to rotor, and OUTSIDE rotor to rotor, in 4-5 (i.e. 90 degree) positions, for true-ness. ...and PLEASE use a good quality steel rule; not a Wal Mart yard stick. Buy a good one (Starrett, etc.) if you don't have one. You'll use it the rest of your life. Double check torque on your rotor to hub mounting. Reassemble and torque properly. Also, check your tire alignment front-rear, tire pressures, and fork height in the triple clamp. It may not cause your squeak, but uneven forks can do weird things. If those (inexpensive) suggestions don't work, get back to us.

Gadz: edit..edit. Welcome to the forums, Nated. Glad to have you with us!
Well said! Drag and Bleed sounds cool.

Old 09-11-2011, 05:00 PM

Progress Report

Hi guys, just thought I'd check back in with a quick progress report.

I didn't have the correct tool to tighten the front axle, so I thought I'd start with some of the other suggestions. Here's what I did:

- Bled the front brakes and replaced the fluid with fresh brake juice.
- Lightly sanded the rotors with a fine grit sandpaper
- Cleaned the calipers with a wire brush
- Applied Permatex Disc Brake Quiet

After a short test ride, the problem did not present itself, so I'm cautiously optimistic. Thanks for the advice and suggestions. I will check back in after a much longer ride!

Nathan

Old 09-12-2011, 02:45 PM

Update #2

After a much longer ride the problem appears to be gone. Thanks for the help everyone.

I'm not sure which step did it, but if anyone else has a similar problem do what these guys said, start with the simple stuff (cleaning and maintenance) and work your way up.

Safe riding

Nathan

Old 09-12-2011, 02:49 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Hmmmmmm I would have bet on a warped rotor, glad you got it figured out.