General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Battery OVERCHARGE - bike dead

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 05:46 PM
Default Battery OVERCHARGE - bike dead

I was working in the garage and hooked up my battery to charge it up a little bit because it had been
sitting in the garage all winter. I got distracted and left the garage and left the charger on. Approximately
24 hours later I returned and realized what I had done.

The battery still seems to hold a charge after one week.. but when I go to push the start button it does
nothing. The red FI light flashes and then stays on.

What did I destroy when I left that charger on? It's a 2004 ZX-12R.

I realized I should have purchased a battery tender... don't remind me : )

Thanks in advance. - Jase

Old 03-22-2007, 06:01 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Battery OVERCHARGE - bike dead

Wait.......no hey guys this is my first post, glad to have found this site, you guys are awesome, I have been lurking for a few weeks now........nothing? LOL Just messing with you, Welcome anyway. Using a standard battery charger on a motorcycle battery is not the best idea, (idear if your Paul Sr.) If you do use a regular battery charger it helps to put it on the 1 or 2 amp slow charge if equipped with that. Other wise it tends to boil the battery. Also using a higher amp battery charger on a battery without unhooking the cables can have a negative (no pun intended) effect on other electrical components. If it were me, I would start out with a new, freshly charged battery and see what happens. Oh and buy a battery maintainer and wire in a pigtail hidden on the bike so all you have to do once a week is plug it in. Both of my bikes are set up that way to charge through the 12V accessory plug I installed on them. I can also us the outlets for cell phone charging, GPS (if I ever get one) and best of all I made up a small set of cables with a male 12V end so I can jump start either bike in case someone leaves their lights on out in the woods.

Old 03-22-2007, 06:17 PM

Thanks for the reply. My thing is... I think I fried something electronic. The battery is holding a charge just fine.
I actually did set my bike up with two remote wires from the battery so I could hook it up easily or hook
someone else up. My battery charger also has the lower amp option for motorcycles and a low maintenance
battery tender option.... unfortunately when I left it on it was on the regular charge... I don't know how that
battery is keeping a charge at all now.
I think I may have fried a circuit or fuse or heaven forbid something bigger like the fuel pump.
Thanks for the "welcome" deej.... : )

Old 03-22-2007, 07:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Find a friend with a bike, borrow their battery... see if it cranks. If not... let us know
It's kinda hard to "over-charge" a battery

Of course - check all your fuses first.

Old 03-22-2007, 07:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, you probably should get a new battery. even though it holds it's voltage doesn't necessarily mean it still has good cranking amps if you fried the cells.

Old 03-24-2007, 04:06 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

+1 on the cranking amps