General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Battery charging?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 08:17 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Battery charging?

Will this charger work and Is it necessary to take the battery out when charging and to fill it with water? thanks

http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=1360

Old 10-02-2008, 08:23 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

yes i swear by the battery tender. it is cool with the quick diconnect lead you attach to your battery you just plug it when you need it. no more taking the battery out and putting in and such. gitr done mang!

Old 10-02-2008, 08:49 PM
1st Gear Member

amen!

Old 10-02-2008, 11:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Sounds really good. They have 6 and 12 volts, What is the difference?

Old 10-03-2008, 01:16 PM
1st Gear Member

One has twice as many volts a the other.

As your battery is a 12V battery the 12V tender might be a little better than the 6V.

Personally. although I keep a boost charger in the garage for emergemcies I've ever needed to use it except on old car the wife had a few years ago. As long as your bike isn't used for lots of cold start/short journeys it'll keep a reasonable charge for over a month - perhaps about 2 - 3 weeks in ambient temperatures close to freezing.

For lay up, remove the battery and trickle charge for about 6 hours once a month. You can use a battery tender to avoid having to do this. I don't lay up the bike - I prefer to ride it. A tender nmay also be useful if you do a lot of short trips in winter.

Rob

Last edited by williamr; 10-03-2008 at 01:20 PM.
Old 10-03-2008, 03:21 PM
1st Gear Member

I got the tender jr. I have on more question. It comes with alligator clips and also comes with ring connectors that can permanently attach to the battery for quick charging connections. I would like to attach the rings and the negative suppose to be attach to the chassis. Can I combine that with the negative connection running from the battery that is already attached to the chassis?

Last edited by HUNTER1; 10-06-2008 at 02:09 AM.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:38 AM
1st Gear Member

Yes, that will work also.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:46 AM
Smile For better connections

I also use the 12 volt Battery Tender on my 12 volt battery. and keep the battery installed on my bike using the Battery Tender supplied quick connect leads coming out under my seat. If you want to insure a good electrical connection and avoid corrosion on your battery I put some Permatec Dielectric Tune-Up Grease.

It is available at any automotive parts store for a small sum and comes in a small tube .33 oz. which is plenty for one or more batteries or a large tube.

Bill

Old 10-27-2008, 05:34 AM
1st Gear Member

ya.. always match voltages. never charge a 6V batter with a 12V or vice versa. bad things manifest.

oh, and you don't need to remove the batter whilst charging. you can leave it in the bike.. after all.. it charges when you're riding.. theres no difference..

just, if you do take the batter out in the off season, sit it on wood orsomething like that.. for some reason, batteries die when on the ground. especially a cement floor..

as an electrical engineer, i have yet to figure this one out..

Old 10-27-2008, 12:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Put a 6V charger on a 12V battery and nothing will happen - the battery won't charge. Put a 12V charger on a 6V battery and you'll overcharge the battery and kill it, but in practice most chargers have a fuse on the output that will prevent this.

Cement floors do no harm. The boat batteries sit on the bottom of the hull which is in contact with the water and colder than any cement floor Cold slows battery activity but otherwise does it no harm and activity resumes as temperature increases..

There are two reasons to remove the battery for charging. One is a simple safety issue, the (low) risk of a circuit going short. The other is that with non-sealed batteries they can outgas enough to create an explosive mixture around the battery that can be set off by an electrical spark. Vehicle charging systems don't charge to this level - they have a regulator. There is also the risk of small quantities of acid being vented, which does the battery compartment no good at all. Battery tenders are safer to use on a still connected battery.

Whitehendrix - for an electrical engineer you don't appear to know much.

Rob

Quick Reply: Battery charging?