General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Afghanistan 250 Enduro..

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 02:08 PM
Default Afghanistan 250 Enduro..

So I found a 2005 what im guessing to be a mil spec 250 KLX sitting behind some old containers. I Pulled it in and changed the oil, cleaned the carb and gas tank and fixed some botch wiring ( jumped the starter solenoid) and she fired up. But now im having trouble keeping her alive and if I shut it off it takes a bit before she wants to start back up. The bike is also leaking fuel from the carb, Is there suppose to be a return line from the carb to the tank? any information I can get would be awesome.. I'll be here for a while so i have plenty of time to try new things. Thank you.

Old 10-20-2013, 11:53 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Welcome to KF

Get some pics up of the ride.

Old 10-21-2013, 03:24 AM

Sorry the pic is a little rough but here she is in all her might and glory
Name:  image201310200003-1.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  34.4 KB

Old 10-22-2013, 02:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Are you sure that's a 250 and not a 650KLR or KLX? It screams KLR650 to me.
Nice find.
Where from the carb is it leaking? Could be a cracked, sticking or maladjusted float which could cause poor running and if bowl filling too much a leak out the bottom (overflow). I don't recall if there's a vent to the tank from carb...I'll have to look at my bike later (an 06 KLR650).

Old 10-22-2013, 03:17 AM

It could be, There is no Markings on the bike at all so I was just going with 250. It leaks from the bottom when ever you try to start it then it will stop and on occasion will squirt from what appears to be a vent hose on the side of the carb, When I pulled the carb apart I didn't see any indications of cracks or such.

Old 10-22-2013, 04:10 AM
1st Gear Member

Yes, that could be a float or needle/seat issue. Gently tap the float bowl with the plastic end of a screwdriver or something and see if it will unstick. If not, is there a nipple on the bottom of the bowl? Attach a clear plastic hose and loop it up. The fuel should rise to the level of the top of the bowl +/- 1 mm or so. Here's what I did: with the hose on and pointed down, petcock off, loosen the little allen screw valve and drain out fuel from the bowl. Then, close the drain valve, loop hose up, turn petcock on, and see where fuel level rises in the clear tube. Like the pic below.

I think my KLR has a "650" stamped somewhere on the engine. Unsure where. Vin number?

this carb is off my 06 klx250 and you can see where the fuel level in the bowl is just a little above the top of the bowl, where it mates to the carb body. My '06KLR650 carb is very similar. A cracked/sticking/maladjusted float or a problem with the needle and seat will let fuel keep flowing in and it will overflow out a port and pour out the bottom, where the clear hose is attached. Tightening the little allen screw valve will not stop it as there are two ports allowing fuel out the bottom (an overflow port that you can't shut off and the allen screw valve).

The more I think about your issue, I think sand. There could be a small grain in the needle/seat keeping the needle from seating and fuel just keep pouring through. May need to take it apart again and really look carefully at that part. Or the needle or seat could be worn and need replaced. Keep us posted.
Name:  IMG_9302.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  103.5 KB

Last edited by IDRIDR; 10-22-2013 at 04:20 AM.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:48 PM

I will check the carb tomorrow. Parts for this thing are impossible to get over here due to the bike being old and the military now uses a diesel version of the bike. Thanks a ton for all the helpful input.

Old 10-22-2013, 05:52 PM
1st Gear Member

I will give you my left nut if you can sneak me a Diesel KLR back to the states. lol

Old 10-23-2013, 02:47 PM
1st Gear Member

You do get mail from friends back home, don't you?

Old 10-23-2013, 05:31 PM

I'll just improvise.. I put a starter solenoid off of a International Maxxpro on it and a fuel on and off valve off a honda pull start power washer haha. Plus I can ask the local nationals to go to the baazar and grab me a few things.. and yes I do get mail out here but it takes a bit to get here.

Quick Reply: Afghanistan 250 Enduro..