General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

98 ZX6R turn over problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 02:23 AM
Default 98 ZX6R turn over problem

Hello,

I have a 1998 ZX6R that wont start. The scoop is that I bought it off a friend about 2 months ago. The bike runs very well but has been layed down a few times. I bought new fairings for the bike and after I replaced them I cant get the bike to turn over. before i took the bike apart it started every time with no problems what so ever. The only things that I really messed with was the headlight, front turn signals, and the gas tank. I have been told I could have pulled a wire or something along those lines but I was pretty careful during the whole process. If anyone has any ideas for me that would be great. Also the battery is not dead.

Thanks,
Ryan

Old 06-19-2008, 02:52 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: 98 ZX6R turn over problem

when you try to start it, is there any noise? clicks? does the engine want to start but wont turn over?

Old 06-19-2008, 03:42 PM

Hi pfft84,

There is no noise or clicks or anything. when i try to start it absolutly nothing happens.

Old 06-19-2008, 05:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Ground loose somewhere?

Old 06-19-2008, 05:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Take off the seat and check the fuses too, they tend to pop for no reason sometimes

Old 06-19-2008, 05:16 PM
1st Gear Member

the battery may not be dead but it could be drained down to the point that it can't start the bike. just something to consider.

otherwise it much be wiring/fuses - make sure when you put the body work back on you put the ground wire back to the frame by the battery.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:25 PM
1st Gear Member

when you turn the key, do any lights come on? neutral light, brake? anything?

Old 06-19-2008, 08:55 PM

OK, I have the battery on the charger now to just make sure that it wasnt somewhat dead. when the battery was on the bike tho it had enough juice to run the lights and turn signals.

When I turn the key over the neutral light comes on as well as the oil light and headlight, taillight, and turn signals.

Also I see where the ground wire comes off the negative side of the battery but then it goes into a coil of black tape with other wires and runs under the gas tank. I dont see where it is connected to the frame. I feel this could be the problem. where is it supposed to connect to the frame?

Also I did check the fuses and one was burnt out so I replaced it. To bad it was only the turn signals though, I had my hopes up!!

All help is greatly appreciated!!

Old 06-19-2008, 09:16 PM
1st Gear Member

on my bike its connected to the motor i think, hey take off the tank and post some pics of the motor and wiring for us, maybe well be able to see something u missed...

Old 06-19-2008, 10:26 PM

Here are some pics.. I hope they can help

also i noticed a very faint clicking noise when I tried to start the bike again. The noise came from the fuse box/battery area. it was very faint and soon died out with the battery but something was trying to happen there.. the charger is back on the battery

Quick Reply: 98 ZX6R turn over problem