General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

97 VN750 Won't start

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 02:00 AM
Default 97 VN750 Won't start

My 97 VN750 is in trouble. Last summer it stopped in the middle of nowhere. I sat down for about 40 minutes and it started up again, sputtering a little then it straightened out. Bad gas, I thought. I put it away for the winter (gets kind of cold in VT) filled it up with new gas and started it up. Worked OK for two minutes, then it started losing power and finally stopped. I tried again and it would only stay running at around 5K RPM. I put new plugs it still does not work. Strange thing: the back cylinder plug is all sooty and the front one is all which but drenched in gasoline. I assume that something is wrong with the carbs. I have the handbook and will work on them. I am curious if anyone had similar problem and would appreciate any leads.

Old 05-18-2009, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Recon, welcome to the forums. In a V motor, the front cylinder gets the cooling and the back cylinder gets all the heat. Not uncommon for there to be a several degree temp difference on the jugs. Having said that, I'd check your fuel pathway all the way in to the cylinder. Fuel petcock and/or filter clean? Clean gas in the bowls? Same heat range plugs? Might also check the exhaust end of the equation. How about plug wires, CDI box, carb linkage, etc.
Let us know what you find out! Welcome again!
Gear up; stay safe.

Old 05-19-2009, 01:05 AM

Hello Jeff,

"Recon, welcome to the forums."
Thanks!
"In a V motor, the front cylinder gets the cooling and the back cylinder gets all the heat. Not uncommon for there to be a several degree temp difference on the jugs."
Really, I would never have guessed that! It is true that since I am right-handed, my 99 R1100R gets less cooling on the right than on the left. I guess the same goes for the V's. Must be be my rear-end.
"Having said that, I'd check your fuel pathway all the way in to the cylinder. Fuel petcock and/or filter clean? Clean gas in the bowls? Same heat range plugs? Might also check the exhaust end of the equation. How about plug wires, CDI box, carb linkage, etc."
Wow! I am glad you put in the "etc". I think that is where the problem lies.

Thanks loads for the help! Will let you know the outcome if it comes.

Old 05-19-2009, 05:07 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Good luck, but here are a couple pages from one of my manuals. Just troubleshoot stuff. But good luck.