General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

94 klx 650c electrical help

Search this Thread

Old Today, 06:25 AM
Default 94 klx 650c electrical help

I'll try to just see if anyone can help me with some deep wiring knowledge. I've got a 94 klx 650c motor and most of the wiring that I'm putting on a 04 polaris predator 500 frame. It's been pretty straight up for most part . I've got the doaner bike that the motor came from and unfortunately the guy I bought it from just for the motor and wiring seems like he failed to leave alot of relays and etc..I've got the motor turning over but cannot get it to fire ..I understand it has a diode type ignition system mainly to get the starter lockout and kick stand and neutral switch and clutch switch to all work together . But I've found so much contradicting info I'm about to pull my hair out. And if I could just get someone to help me with the bare necessity it needs to crank and run..like cdi wiring , I'm most likely going to loose the key switch cause the bike was wrecked pretty hard and the instrument cluster and key switch look like something was going pretty fast when it was abruptly stopped ..thus the bike I have has no forks handle bars and clamps gone , sheared off. And actually I am making it even more difficult cause I'm trying to combine the polaris controls ( starter button and kill switch at least) i have the polaris key switch which is a 6 wire model just like the one on the klx . Even worse it has almost same exact wire colors except very big exception is on the polaris it's brn that's negative where on the klx it's a switched so I'm wiring savvy enough to not think I was just going to match up colors between the two..but the systems are very much alike and I've singled out wire functions not colors to hook it up . But I'd be happy right now with a toggle switch and the kill switch and start button ..if anyone could help me sort this out I'd be very grateful before I cook my cdi . Sorry for long post.

Also if folks dont want this made a public post for obvious reasons regarding easy way to start these motors please know even a personal email to davisdesign1190@gmail.com would be huge . And if i cant get this info ill have a klx 650 c motor and frame to sell. Lol

Old Today, 12:13 PM
1st Gear Member

You might try the ADVrider forum in the thumpers sub-forum, go to the KLX650 riders UNITE and ask. click here to go to the forum. This forum doesn't have anything on the KLX650 to my knowledge, I have one. The ADVriders has contributors and you may get the help you need. I have a shop manual I found online that I could share if you want a copy.

Old Today, 05:24 PM
Default Thanks

Is your manual for the 94 klx 650c? If so and it has a decent wiring diagram that would be most helpful. And I've been on the adv rider site and really didn't get the info I need. Seems like everyone contradicts each other and the klx unite posts I couldn't find any real solid info either..biggest problem I've had is that I'll read one where the person seems to have a good handle on what they are talking about only to find another post that is saying toraly different info. Been frustrating to say the least..and isn't my klx 650c basically a klr wiring since it does have a battery and no Kickstart. MY engine is electric crank only but it does have a plug it looks like so if I wanted to put a Kickstart on it I could.. main thing I'm looking for is what wires are + or - then which ones are in put power or ground and what is only output it seems there are wires that are both and a negative wire that somehow is normally ground but during starting it changes momentarily and is + 12 . It's that that's giving me fits. Thank you though for any advice it is appreciated.