General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

84 kawasake 100ltd charging overload

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 09:55 PM
Default 84 kawasake 100ltd charging overload

I recently replaced my stator on my 84 Kawasaki 1100ltd the new stator I put on was used from a 84 kawasaki zn1100ltd. When I connect all three wires comming off the stator that run to the voltage reg then battery and load (according to the books diagram) everything runs fine for a minute or two and then all the sudden I get a voltage surge that blew out my headlight and the 10 amp fuse marked facc on the fusebox. I thought maybe I had the three wires connected wrong so I tried every combonation I can think of and still the same results ie voltage surge and fuse blows. Also when I am running the bike before the surge (it takes a few minutes to happen) if I turn off the bike I get a smaller surge through the system (the lights go bright for just a second as I turn off the key but not enough to blow the fuse). The previous owner changed the voltage regulator and put one on that didnt fit the bike (2 male ends) so he modified the connector to get it to work. I checked the modification and it seems like he hooked up everything correctly and the regulator is supposed to be for a 84 kawasaki 1100. Im thinking this must be the wrong regulator for my stator and it is not able to dissapate enough charge therefore allowing the charge to build up and then eventually release into the system. this would explain the mini surge as I turn the key off when I dont let it overload.
The battery does charge fine 12 volts at idle and up to 14 at higher rpms otherwise. Anyone ever run into this kind of problem before? I am fairly baffled as to how it is possible for the voltage regulator to act like a capacitor and build up energy?? Also I bypassed the headlight safety switch because it was bad Idk if this would have any effect on this problem?

Old 06-17-2012, 06:32 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Also I bypassed the headlight safety switch because it was bad Idk if this would have any effect on this problem?
Not sure on what the safety switch is that you speak of at the moment. As you mentioned, the rectifier does sound weak.

Test it out and good luck.

Welcome to KF

edit: moved to Gen Tech

Old 06-18-2012, 08:50 AM

Turns out the voltage regulator wiring harness is connected to the headlight switch(automatically swolirltches from low beam filiment to hi beam if one burns out and turns on headlamp guage light) this switch was malfunctioning so i had bypassed it and accidentluly bypassed the voltage regulator too. Plugged it back in and it works fine