General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

82KawiLtd550 shorting out & stuck on what next

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 07:11 AM
Default 82KawiLtd550 shorting out & stuck on what next

Previous member of a few years back, coming back (couldn't remember my old screen name!) This question is for the electric sleuths out there.

History: Bike died the other day. Main 20 amp fuse was blown. Checked battery and it's fine. Bike is fine with new fuse, but in looking for short with battery on, I notice the wire running to the previously blown fuse is getting very very hot very quickly. I was able to smell a small burn but couldn't locate it (or smoke) anywhere. I turned the bike off.

What I noticed: (Headlight is off, tank is off, side panels off) The blinkers were working now and they have NOT worked in a year! But the rear tail light wasn't responding to the brake. Bulbs are fine, and stays lit in running mode but doesn't get brighter/respond to brakes. There is an additional brake light that I added a few years ago with a relay to make the brake (s) flash. That brake light is also not working now. I have tried jiggling every wire on the bike and break light won't budge, including the add-on wires for the extra brake. I also followed the wires leaving the front brake and the rear tail light the best I could and I didn't feel any lose connections, or see any burn marks.

Should I assume the blinker/brake light/blown fuse are all connected, or is it possible it's two separate issues?

Any ideas on how to further check for possible culprits? Friggin' shorts are such a pain, no?

Thanks in advance for any helpful advice somebody has.

Cheers

Old 09-11-2010, 04:50 AM
1st Gear Member

Sounds like its shorting out.

Oh you knew that much already. The 20 amp should be the main fuse for the system so it blowing doesnt help you narrow it down at all. its a biatch but it sounds like you gotta inspect every connection and wire on the bike, which is doble fun with the modifications. wish I could be more help but wireing is not my thing.

Welcome back!

Old 09-11-2010, 05:47 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Not sure if they are all on the same fuse. However, I would pull the molex/quick connectors to the brake lights, turn lights, and measure the voltage to each connection. Besides, this also helps in making sure that the connections are tight and clean when you put them back together. Keep us informed!!! Good luck with the electrical issues.

Old 09-13-2010, 05:48 PM

Is there any chance the short could be coming from a relay type box, like the turn signal unit, or reserve lighting unit, or one of those things?

Another thing: The extra brake light (long thin rectangular blinking tail light that is tied on to luggage rack) that I installed (with it's own small relay box--to make lights blink) is connected to the brake wiring by sodder. This was done 3 years ago, and I haven't really noticed a problem until now. The sodder seems solid.

I will try your volt test for starters. Thanks for the advice.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:58 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Check condensation points, friction points, and debris-contact points. Specifically, headlight bucket, signal buckets, rear lamp bucket, fender wells, chain and suspension flex points, side cover well, underseat, triple clamp flex point, and anywhere old wire insulation will crack. It's no fun having a white smoke (electrical) fire coming from under your fuel tank going down the road. Been there, done that, on my old H-1 triple.
Good luck, and welcome back!

Old 09-17-2010, 05:12 PM

Thanks for all the advice. I think one of the culprits was a flashing brake relay and extra break light I added a long time ago. I cut it out. I also found a few different frayed, exposed, and even cracked wires that I fixed. But like any short, I won't know it's truly fixed until it happens again. But the first ride seemed to be problem free. I think a technology innovator is called for with a device that detects a short in a line to the point where it can 'see' an exposed wire or something else causing spikes in the line.

Happy riding to all.
Cheers

Old 09-17-2010, 06:53 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

I think a technology innovator is called for with a device that detects a short in a line to the point where it can 'see' an exposed wire or something else causing spikes in the line.
hahaha, a better pair of glasses and the trusty multimeter. good to see that you are having improvements.