General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

82 gpz750r1 knacked?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 03:20 PM
1st Gear Member
Default 82 gpz750r1 knacked?

Finally got ma zed into dry storage......connected a car battery on and no joy.Got a neutral light and oil pressure light but nothin at starter motor,voltage is gettin to the input side of the solenoid but as I only have a basic needle type volt meter my trail ends there.Only other thing I have noticed is that when you pull in the clutch lever the lights on dash,sorry,clocks dim down.Was thinkin clutch interlock???Now sees the wisdom of dry storin a bike to restore,lol.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Cactus, how long ago was the bike running? if the engine has not turned over for (gasp) a few years, I would begin by pulling the plugs and shooting some penetrant into the cylinders. Let sit. Don't cook your starter or snap any internals trying to bump start.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Cheers jeff,last time it ran was about ten yrs ago,lol,but was rebuilt n span over three yrs ago.Ill give that a whirl at weekend n post what happens.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:41 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

yup yup yup on squirting some penetrating oil into the cylinders to help free up the possible rusted piston rings in the cylinder. then after sitting a day, hand turn the engine so you can feel what is happening, less chance of snapping rings, and frying stuff as jeff mentioned. I used diesel in the past, but not sure if I would use that anymore because of the NEW STUFF

Electrical wise, the grounds and other connections are probably all corroded. Clean connections and use electrical cleaner for small contacts. Even the ignition switch.

You have some work ahead of you, but nothing too serious probably now that it is in dry storage. Takes a little time.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Put some oil in plug holes as yes it is the pistonrings seized up,cheers gang.

Old 03-10-2012, 12:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Tried turning engine over and it turns by spanner on the alernator nut no probs.There is 12v getting to the input side of the starter solenoid however nowt happens when you press the starter button.Cleaned all earths and had switches apart on bars but no joy,think i need to try a new solenoid however im using a car battery to try the electrics out and i did use a bike battery last time.

Old 03-10-2012, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Is the starter "frozen" also? Might double-check before you toast resistors in the new solenoid.

Old 03-10-2012, 01:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks,Ill get starter out next time i have a go.The starter does try to turn the engine if you bridge it to a live but ill take it out n check first.

Old 03-10-2012, 03:42 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

So you have 12v going to the starter?

Old 03-10-2012, 08:46 PM
1st Gear Member

No,ive got 12v going to the solenoid by fuse box but nowt from other side to the starter.I put a direct 12v onto the output side of the solenoid and the starter did try to turn the engine but as its a direct feed I didnt like to leave it on for more than a second or two.Engines easy enough to turn over on the alternator nut by using a 1/2" drive tbar n 17mm socket.

Quick Reply: 82 gpz750r1 knacked?