General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

636 Peg vibration

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 02:12 AM
Default 636 Peg vibration

Hi,
I purchased a brand new Zx-6R 636 earlier this year. Everything has been going fine until recently as I have noticed that I am getting vibration from the right peg. The vibration is getting worse as time goes on and it's even that bad that my foot is starting to go numb even after 20 miles.
I have taken it back to the garage where I bought the bike but the mechanic just told me that this is common with new bikes and that it is just caused by the engine running in and should clear within the next 1000 miles max! He took it out for a road test and told me that he has been on bikes that the vibration was a lot worse. Other people I know never had this with their new bikes but then they weren't kawasaki's!
Can anyone clarify what seems to be a ridiculous statement?
Any help or info will be much appreciated.
Thanks,

Old 08-11-2006, 03:38 AM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member
Default RE: 636 Peg vibration

hi and welcome. sounds like a bunch of bs to me. are all the bolts tight ? kinda hard to figure out what it is over the innernet but only 1 peg vibrating while your bike is in its break in period sounds like bs to me. more people will chime in on this but theres 2 636's coming to my house later. ill ask about it. so far i had stock pegs for about 1200 miles and never has a vibration, now running vortex rearsets for about 3000 miles and no vibes.

Old 08-11-2006, 04:48 AM
1st Gear Member

never realized a vibration on my 06 ninja . sounds like something maybe loose like evil said or maybe there is something wrong with the bike. can't really tell unless i felt what your talking about .

Old 08-11-2006, 04:54 AM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

bran spanking new ninja just picked up about 2 hours ago. not a vibe on it at all. a little more used one will be here in about an hour.

check your motor mount bolts too. swing arm pivot bolt, steering stem nut. something aint right.

Old 08-11-2006, 05:05 AM

Thanks Evil and Blue for the info. I did kind of think what the mechanic was saying was wrong but the garage gets a good rep so I just took his word for that moment as I intended doing my own research when I returned.
I appreciate that it is difficult to diagnose over the net and appreciate your tips. I will check what I can on the bike to see if anything is loose but I don't have too much experience on the mechanical side.
The mechanic also said that I will feel more vibration on the right peg over the left as this is the side that the exhuast pipe goes up to go under the seat.
I will check the bolts/nuts situation today and let you know if I find anything.

Forgot to say, the vib wasn't there when I got the bike. It has only started in the last 200 miles and is getting gradually worse

Old 08-11-2006, 06:29 AM

My feet go numb too. I never noticed it until recently. I had on tennis shoes. I generally wear boots of some sort but wore shoes this time because I was going to be walking alot. I really noticed that my peg buzzed quite a bit. My husband said his right foot, especially, went numb when he had his ZX9 with an aftermarket pipe. They still go numb on his 10.

Old 08-11-2006, 07:03 AM

Thanks Racedoll. I'm sort of glad to hear I am not the only one that is suffering this. Misery loves company and all!
If it's a matter of footwear making the experience worse then I would hate to feel what it would be like when I am not wearing my Sidi's.
I really hope this is just a temp problem as it is very annoying and I can think of nothing better than going for a run on my 636.

Old 08-11-2006, 07:13 AM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

where the hell is Falkirk at ! ??? chow just left, he only has about 12 thousand miles on his 05 636 and he said he had a problem with the bars buzzing and his hands going numb, but he fixed that. as far as his pegs, never nothing. he wears icon field armor boots if it makes a difference. i wear the same. the icon boots are a little thicker in the sole and the padding but i have also rode in tennis shoes, not far but enough to know theres a weird vibration going on.

as far as it being your pipe, i can see a little of the harmonic tones coming off the pipe but not enough to make the peg unbareable to rest your foot on.

only other thing i can think of is somethings loose or the peg bracket has a crack in it somewhere and its causing major flex/vibration.

Old 08-11-2006, 07:30 AM
Super Moderator

You should get that mechic to put those statements in writing. I got a c note that says he wont

Old 08-11-2006, 07:40 AM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

id put a g on that too

Quick Reply: 636 Peg vibration