General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2004 zx 636

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 02:19 AM
Default 2004 zx 636

I have noticed that, while on flat ground, when i roll my bike, the chain will loosen and tighten simutaniously. What could be the problem?

Old 08-26-2009, 02:31 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

A bad chain? lol Stay with your chain maintenance but most likely a chain that is binding. Welcome to KF.

Old 08-26-2009, 02:17 PM
1st Gear Member

I agree When was the last time you lubbed the chain?

Old 08-27-2009, 01:16 PM

I have just purchased the bike so i really have no idea when the chain was lubbed last. I did however replace the chain yesterday and after double checking all of the alignments, the problem still remains. Now it just doesnt clatter when i ride.

Old 08-27-2009, 02:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Make sure the chain is aligned properly. Did you also replace the sprockets? These really should be replaced when putting on a new chain. Old sprockets will wear a chain out real fast.

Old 08-27-2009, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Good advice^. If a chain binds, it's an X-Y axis problem; either the chain is dried-out and it will bind on the Y axis (up and down), OR, if the alignment is bad, it's an X axis (side to side) issue because the side plates on one side are pinched together tighter than the other side. Most newer chains have sealed links. I doubt it's dried out.
Make sure you're using the right chain (520/530) for the right sprockets, and make sure the total alignment (front tire and back tire) is correct. Ever seen a car with a bent frame go down the road? It puts stress on MANY things it shouldn't, and is like a big spring waiting to un-cork. Also, double check the rear axle adjustment on the swingarm; the axle ends should be the exact same distance to the rear of the swingarm (or, to the shock mounting post--if you're real bored.) You can't always trust those cutesy little stamped markings on the axle slide cut-out.
Keep us posted, j. Welcome aboard.

Old 08-28-2009, 04:36 AM

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it alot. I'll keep you posted on the updates

Old 08-28-2009, 11:41 PM
1st Gear Member

its best when you install a new chain replace both sprockets

Old 08-29-2009, 03:04 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 768 Ryda
its best when you install a new chain replace both sprockets
yuppers, keep it a set.

Old 08-31-2009, 07:51 PM

So come to realize (i feel like an idiot for this) but i bought a bike with a bent swingarm. It took me a minute to realize it was twisted, it rides almost perfect but the chain clatters and during hard breaks it veers to the right. I finally jacked it up to replace the front tire, which was wearing to one side majorly, and decided to tear off all the plastics to find my problem. Lone and behold my rear tire is almost 2 inches off center (to the left) of my subframing. I purchased a used swingarm and am in the process of replacing my bent one. I can probably assume that this is the reason my chain tighten and loosens simutaniously. What other damage could i look for while my bike is torn apart?

Quick Reply: 2004 zx 636