General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2000 Kawasaki ZX6R

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 02:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Matt

There are two things that a first bike has to do. One is to keep you alive. If you have the attitude and maturity, then in theory any bike can do that. In practice, you wouldn't be human if you didn't occasionally go a bit faster than is adviseable, especially before you know what adviseable is.

The second job it has to do is teach you to ride. In my view, this includes learning how to get the best out of the bike. At 140 - 150 mph on the road this isn't a good idea. On a smaller bike you're learning to get the best out of it at more sensible speeds. 85 - 95 mph on a 250 isn't too bad. 70 - 80 mph on a 125 is actually much better. With a fast bike you use the throttle and use the power rather than planning ahead, reading the traffic, learning when you must downshift to keep it on the boil, and similar skills. The slower bikes make you work harder and learn more. The real risk, apart from the risk of death or serious injury, is that starting on a fast bike you'll learn to restrain it rather than wring it out, and that will become a habit that's very hard to break.

It's no coincidence that most formula 1 drivers start out in go Karts rather than saloon car racing. They do that later.

I think I've seen those tyre valves advertised that you had. Didn't think that anyone would actually fit them though.

Rob