General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2000 Kawasaki ZX6R

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 09:35 PM
Default 2000 Kawasaki ZX6R

I recently bought this bike and I cant figure out how to put air in the tires. they have a weird chrome valve that has a clear screw piece on the top but it doesnt seem like a regular air pump will fit on this..

Also, the oil level is very low - any recommendations on the oil I should use?

thanks,

Matt

Old 08-11-2010, 11:04 AM
1st Gear Member

Please don't tell me that it's your first bike.

Rob

Old 08-11-2010, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Give us a pic on the clear screw piece; not sure I've seen one of those.
As for oil, this has been discussed ad nauseum. Might do a topic search. Suffice to say nearly any name-brand top shelf oil will work fine. Most of us prefer synthetic. There are also cross reference name brand filters (you don't need to buy ONLY Kawi filters.) Again, do a topic search on here. And PLEASE do NOT put in 4 quarts if it calls for 3.95 liters. I would do an oil change, instead of topping off (unless you know how many miles are on the current "change.") A clean motor is a happy motor.
Welcome to the forums. If it's your first bike, please be careful. We would unanimously recommend a MSF course. And, invest in good quality riding gear. No compromise when it comes to safety, OK? WEAR IT.
Glad to have you aboard. Plenty of good folks here; jump in!

Old 08-11-2010, 05:45 PM

Jeff ZX9 - thanks for welcoming me to the group and offering information. I appreciate the help.

William - I posted a question on here for advice, not wise *** comments. Dont waste my time or yours with stupid posts that do nothing for anyone.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:04 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Matt, In William's defense, we have a lot of younger guys who come to the forums wanting to add nitrous or turbo kits, or (ultimately) wanting to get in WAAAAAY over their experience level. It's tough for many of us (a-hem....mature) guys to be tactful and suggest getting basic riding chops down before going to warp speed. William ultimately is thinking of your safety. He's been a big contributor to the discussion on best starter bikes, and it's obvious he really gives a damn about seeing the newer riders on our forum get a good, safe beginning. His comment likely came from a position of concern, instead of the smashmouth sarcasm it seemed to be.
The folks on this forum are surprisingly a tight-knit bunch. I think we care alot about each other and will help whenever possible. The true jack-asses seem to get bored and leave, and that's fine with us.
We hope you stick around.
Gear up; stay safe.

Old 08-13-2010, 02:05 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

hahaha matt, you troublemaker! hahaha
Not really sure on the stem question. I am curious to see a pic of it.

Also, the oil level is very low - any recommendations on the oil I should use?
you had me looking through my manual on this one. 4.0 qts the wts will vary on your temp range and riding. But thanks to your question, I found my last tune printout!!! I need to stop bookmarking pages with my important stuff. lol

Get the manual if you plan on keeping this ride. Make sure that the ride is perpendicular to the ground when you check the oil level. A lot of people think that they are low just because it is still on the sidestand. Good luck

Old 08-13-2010, 05:12 AM
1st Gear Member

lol, sorry matt, anyone posting "how do I put air in my tires?" has to take a little grief, its customary. Can we get a pic of the stems? I too am at a loss, clear plastic screws doesnt ring any bells. Good luck brotha and ride safe.

Old 08-13-2010, 03:28 PM

I feel like a jackass!!!!! the previous owner put those wheel lites on the valve stems but the print on the chrome piece wore off and the lights dont work anymore so it just looked like a hollow CO2 cartridge attached to the valve... anyway i brought it to a shop and the guy had to cut them off because they were so stuck.

William - i apologize for coming at you a little hot - just that this was my first post on here and I was already pissed about not being able to get air in the tires. i am a first time rider but not a crazy kid that wants to go faster than i can handle.

I will continue to contribute to this forum in any ways i can and look forward to trading ideas with all of you.

Thanks for the help!!!

Matt

Old 08-14-2010, 07:39 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

hahaha, congrats on teaching us as well on your fix. Who in the hell puts lights on the stems? You must also have rim tape too! lol

Old 08-15-2010, 04:39 AM
1st Gear Member

Whatchu talk about? Rim tape make the ladies swoon. Grats on the fix matt, now get out and ride!

Quick Reply: 2000 Kawasaki ZX6R