General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1996 ZX6R Issues, losing power on rides

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 01:15 AM
Default 1996 ZX6R Issues, losing power on rides

Hello,

I am new to sportbikes, and I just bought a 1996 ZX6R from a local guy. The bike ran perfect when I test rode it and he said that there hadnt been any issues that he noticed.

I went out today on a short ride and about 15mins into it the bike randomly lost all power when I was in 2nd gear...I had to drift to a stop and shut off then restart the bike to get her running again. I rode her back home after, and had no issues.

Then I went out again this evening and the same thing happened in 3rd gear. Was riding fine, opened the throttle a bit and lost all power. Stopped, restarted and she ran fine.

Im not sure what RPM range I was in because the guy removed the stock speedo and tacho, so he could install an aftermarket speedo. The first time I believe I was going about 35mph and the second time I was going closer to 50mph. It seems to happen right when I start to open the throttle to accelaterate.

Any information on what this might be would be very helpful. If I need to take it in to a mech then I will, but I would perfer to fix it myself if it isnt something to complex.

Thank you all in advance!

Old 05-09-2011, 01:48 AM
1st Gear Member

Could be anything from the carb to bad fuel, pinched fuel line, fuel filter, floats, vents, etc. I'd pull it apart and clean the carbs, if you just bought it it probably needs it anyway, even if thats not your problem. Chances are that will cure it or you will find the issue while you're in there. Could also try riding with the gas tank poped open to see if its the vents.

Welcome to KF!

Old 05-12-2011, 02:26 AM

Thank you Prom for the quick response. I first tried refilling my tank with fresh gas mixed with some dry gas...that didnt work. So then I took her apart and I found two possible suspects:

A. A kinky fuel line...which needs to be replaced because its set in that position.

B. (This is the BIG one) All four carbs were not properly set in the rubber sleeves and clamped tight...so when the engine ran it pulled apart and caused it to run really lean.

I corrected both issues, and tomorrow im going to fill her up again and run some seafoam through. Ill let you know how things go. And im going to be cleaning my carbs out this coming tuesday for good measure. Im sure it needs it badly from what I have seen so far.

Thank you for the help! Ill let you know what happens.

Old 05-12-2011, 05:15 PM

Well, I put clean fuel in her and added some seafoam. I started her up and let her idle for a bit...then when I tried to take her for a spin around the block, the engine bogged then stalled as soon as I let out the clutch. Tried about 4-5times then gave up and parked it. I am new to motorcycle engines and the last thing I want to do is cause serious damage. Im having my uncle, who is experienced with bikes, look at it this weekend. If he cant figure it out, im taking it to the shop to have them clean the carbs and see what else they can find.

Old 05-13-2011, 02:09 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Welcome to KF, congrats on the finds/fixes so far. Check the carb synch now as well since the rack has been removed ie (loose and not clamped properly.)