General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1987 gpz 600 finally starts...but

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 12:33 PM
1st Gear Member
Default 1987 gpz 600 finally starts...but

Hi Guys

I have finally managed to get the GPZ600 started as long as its on PRI and then I can switch it back to normal straight away, but only if the choke is fully out?

compression is 150
changed all the plugs
new oil and oil filter
new air filter
and loads of other stuff done to it as well

...It starts great now as long as the choke is out fully, as soon as I push the choke back in, the revs just drop and it cuts out unless I pull the choke back out again and it revs back up?

I thought of a fuel block, but then if it had a blockage, would it start even with the choke at all?

...any help at all with this would be so appreciated.

thanks guys

Drained the tank and put new fuel in
Bought & fitted new plugs
Tested all the plug leads; all ok
Bought & fitted a new starter relay
tested for compression. Cylinders 1, 3 & 4 (150 psi). Cylinder 2 145 psi.
Drained & changed the oil
charged the battery.. ok
checked all the fuses. All OK
tested the kill switch
petcock flows ok when the vacuum pipe is sucked
starter button connects OK
disconnected the switch on the side stand
New Battery

*I posted this in the General Tech Forum as instructed on the Forums page, as I had previously posted in the DIY forum which I was told is the incorrect one***

Old 08-16-2013, 02:47 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

I thought of a fuel block, but then if it had a blockage, would it start even with the choke at all?
There are more than just one circuit in a carb. Carburetor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Carburetor Circuits

Old 08-16-2013, 04:07 AM
1st Gear Member

Internet diagnostics are risky. In your case, it's probably prudent to focus your troubleshooting to the carburetor jets.

Here's the best walk through for cleaning CV carbs I've run across

Keihin 32CVK Disassembly

If you performed the other tasks you've listed in getting this bike straightened out, you can do the carb jet cleaning, too.

Old 08-23-2013, 03:06 PM
1st Gear Member
Default gpz trouble

Thanks ever so much guys, with your help I got it STARTED!!!!...and running!!!....cant thank you enough, the carb advice was brilliant, and I also sealed off any cracks in the airbox as well to make sure.

Generally, I have to adjust the idle speed but hey!...it starts!!

Do any of you guys have the advice or preferably any diagram on how to wire up the push and pull throttle cables. I have tried already as I always try before I admit defeat and ask for help...its only 2 cables but its driving me nuts already.

any help would be so appreciated

thanks for all your help

neil

Old 08-23-2013, 04:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by neiljohndean
Do any of you guys have the advice or preferably any diagram on how to wire up the push and pull throttle cables. I have tried already as I always try before I admit defeat and ask for help...its only 2 cables but its driving me nuts already.

any help would be so appreciated

thanks for all your help

neil
Don't have a diagram, but as a result of several years mastering first grade, I'm pretty handy with a crayon and large lined paper.

Have you identified which cable is the deceleration cable and which is the acceleration cable?

Have you identified where these attach on the carburetor end?

Is your issue with the Chinese puzzle of threading the cables onto the throttle
housing / twisty-go-fast thingy?

I can get some pictures of in-place items if you will isolate your areas of frustration. I'm here for ya man. Life is hard enough without having to stumble through it blind. I'll hold a light for ya.

ETA: Push / pull throttle assemblies are similar in set up. Maybe you can get some clues from this:

Last edited by Fuller_Malarkey; 08-23-2013 at 05:06 PM.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:25 AM
1st Gear Member
Default throttle cables

hi there

Thanks ever so much for your help, I have connected the 2 ends of both cables to the carbs, and all I'm trying to do is connect them up at the throttle end. It seems so simple as there are only 2 cables but its driving me insane!!

right now, a crayon drawing on a piece of paper would be invaluable as Im totally lost...I'll keep on trying and hope that I kinda stumble across how to do it!!

as always, ANY help is so appreciated as without you guys, it wouldn't even have started!!

thanks guys