General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1979 kz1000 classic starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 10:59 PM
Default 1979 kz1000 classic starting issues

I guess i'll be posting alot on here. hopefully less and less as time goes on and i figure my stuff out. I have 2 1979 kz1000's one standard with shaft dive and one classic.

The classic had no spark when i got her. brand new coils, wires and plugs. the nice ngk racing setup. Finally found a wire that had popped out. Got spark life is good. Couldnt get her to start still plugs seemed dry, like fluid wasnt getting through the carbs to engine. pulled plugs and added some starter fluid, tried it once or twice to no avail and being 1AM i called it a night. by the way running the kerker exhaust with the big mikuni carbs and individual intake setup. came back today, made sure fuel lines werent kinked, and went to start her. got about 10-15 seconds of attempt to turn over and come to life and then nothing, figured it the battery didnt have enough juice to turn her over but being i still had power i tried to kick it over. almost broke my leg.....

there is absolutely no movement in the kick starter. in neutral if clutch is out i cant move it a damn inch. if the clutch is in, the kick start moves freely. if i shift it to first with the clutch in i can kick it and the bike moves forward like the trans isnt completly disengaged, but again when i let the clutch out i just cant get any movement. i tried kicking it over right when i bought her and didnt have much trouble but now its almost as if its locked in place when the clutch is out. tried moving it around the shop, changing gears etc in hopes something might have just clicked the wrong way but nothing. any ideas?

Old 07-13-2010, 12:34 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Normally, something is just not disengaging (like the ratchet being stuck for example). Your manual will have a better description, but check into your parts fiche since it will list all of the components.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:33 PM
1st Gear Member

never messed with the kick starter but if its not moving and its not moving the bike forward I would guess there is some kind of locking mechanism holding it in place as a safety feature, but once again, I know nothing about it. Manual should have some helpful words.