General Motorcycle Discussion Have some questions or information about riding that is not tech? Here you go!

zzr600 Frame Sliders

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 09:21 PM
Default zzr600 Frame Sliders

I neeed some help trying to find frame sliders for my 07 zzr600, I went to the dealership and they could not help me. Does anyone know where I can get time? THey told me that my bike is the same as the ZX6e not the ZXX6r.

I did go to E-bay and found some really really ****ty ones.. i would like not to go that route. ALso tried knee draggers, little selection and just like the E-bay ones.

HELP!

Old 08-05-2009, 08:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Why do you need frame sliders? They do more harm then good.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:29 AM
1st Gear Member

i had the same problem with my 1998 zx6r. they sold me ones that looked like mushrooms. that style are absolutely no good. the problem is the bolt hole where they want you to put them is VERY small. so if u do go down, the bolt breaks off and your sliders are useless. that is ALSO what happened to my 1998 zx6r lol. in my opinion, if you really want some sliders, you'd basically have to get a set for a newer zx6r and drill and tap your existing holes up to the size of the bolt provided. i made my own crash cage and did just that. it looks like crap but it did the job on a crash in the backyard lol. you may also want to anchor it at another spot so the slider cannot twist and break off. google race rails to see what i mean. hope this helped

Old 08-06-2009, 02:30 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Welcome to KF Joel.

I know that your sliders are not listed, but you may end up asking about them and your bike. http://champindustries.net/sliders.html I have them on my 06 10r untested. good luck on the search. You will find that most single bolt sliders will cause more damage than what it is worth to use them.

Old 08-06-2009, 03:25 AM
1st Gear Member

My theory on sliders:

They were originally developed for MotoGP racers to protect their handmade engines and incredibly expensive parts to it. Not only would this save money, but it would enable them to finish the race if their bike went down. They really didn't care whatsoever about their plastic fairings.

In reality though, they do more harm then good. Sure, they're gonna help if your bike tips in your driveway, but if your bike goes down and has any momentum from speed at all, somethings gonna catch that slider and send the bike flipping like a Chinese acrobat. That, and I dunno about you, but there are already enough hard, sharp objects sticking out of my bike that could impale me if I go down.

Just my two cents.

Old 08-06-2009, 03:33 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

so stop putting on spike screen bolts gonzo and spike bar ends!!!!lol You're no fun. sheesh. lol

Old 08-06-2009, 03:37 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dragone#19
so stop putting on spike screen bolts gonzo and spike bar ends!!!!lol You're no fun. sheesh. lol
Hmm? What's that? I didn't hear you over the sound of me installing my brand new razor blade foot peg system

Old 08-06-2009, 07:29 AM

That's a good idea to drill and re tap. Now my question is, will it compromise the integrity of the frame?

If I was really worried about things imapleing me I wouldn't ride. I'm more worried about 3k lbs cars running my as s over.

I don't want frame rails. They are nice don't get me wrong. I just don't want them.

Old 08-07-2009, 02:46 AM
1st Gear Member

if memory serves me correctly, the tabs that are welded to the frame to hold your plastics are just that, there for your plastics. if the sliders DO break, it will likely be the bolt and not the tab. but the frame should still be in tact even if this does happen. my 98 hit a ditch with a 10 foot drop at 110 mph (we are figuring). the forks were bent, rear sub was bent, plastic was gone and gauges and that kinda thing. but the frame other than the steering stop being snapped off is all good. sliders are a good insurance incase of a tip over as gonzo so eliquintly put. but what if they do actually save ur bike at a 30-50mph spill? or more? i got them on my 07, and i'll have them on every bike i own after. just incase.

Old 08-07-2009, 06:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Joel, you may wanna check these out...

http://www.rg-racing.com/browseBike/...rs/CP0021.aspx
http://www.racing905.com/armor.html
http://www.freestyleingenuity.com/si...id=9&Itemid=20

I'm thinking of going with the R & G frame sliders, as they ship with a modified water reservoir bottle. With the other 2, you will need to modify it yourself or relocate it somehow. But all these are available and it's all up to you decide on which one. All of these are "cut" versions, which means that you will have to drill through the fairing to bolt the sliders to the engine mounts. "Cut" versions work better when compared to the "no cut" ones, which I think, are useless. I agree with the other guys though that these sliders will only protect your bike from stationary tip-overs or possibly low-speed falls. But on high-speed wipeouts, I highly doubt that they would be as effective at all. And there you have it!