General Motorcycle Discussion Have some questions or information about riding that is not tech? Here you go!

Would this be a good idea?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 10:04 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Would this be a good idea?

So mostly all I see on youtube on the videos I checked most bikers I see are riding Ninjas Kawsaki's 250's,650's and Zx6r's it must be a really good bike/for starters huh? even the owner's said they are good starting bikes I might change my mind from r6 to a Ninja 650r then upgrade to Zx6r in a few years that would probably be a good idea any real reason why most people ride Ninja's? I am 5'6'5'7 weighing about 110-115 pounds so I know I would be flying but most importantly I just wanna flat foot the ground which they said its meant for short riders! would this be a good choice to get? and no im not a squid I plan on
being protective with gear and not doing tricks since for me I just like cruising

2010 Kawasaki NinjaŽ 650R - Official Preview - YouTube

Old 05-09-2012, 02:37 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Welcome to KF

I like the R6 as well, narrow and is a go getter for track use. The ninja 6r stuff are easy to learn on as well to a point. Gotta love the grunt of the 6r, but still takes some suspension dial in to be fast compared to the R6. The ninjas (with the 17 inch wheels) are still fairly tall at around a 31" inseam but can be lowered just like any other bike out there. I can flat foot (one side only! lol) my ZX7 with my short inseam of 31 because the suspension is setup for example and is close to the 6r stance in height. My ninja 250 is the first gen with the 16 inch rims, that is a definite flat foot ride. That is a fun ride, but it is not for anyone who thinks that outgrowing a bike is all about power. I like my 500 because of the comfy daily riding habit and is a softer ride which is easy to flat foot it as well. It has the 17 inch hoops. I have not ridden the 650 yet and can only imagine a nice daily cruiser with abit more pep than my 500 has.

sooo....if it comes down to only being able to flat foot a ride? They all are capable of doing this with standard suspension setup. Although you may be flat footed only on one side as you wait for the stop light with most of the choices out there in sport bikes. Knowing that, you need to think more long term....what are your other needs for a ride? Kinda sounds like you need a daily commuter with fun in mind....quite honestly....they are all fun and I cannot see outgrowing any of them if any of this answers your question.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:25 AM
1st Gear Member

Basically a good starter bike,good amount of power,fun,good on gas,crusing! is really what I am looking for I honestly might start with a zx6r and pass on the 650 because I go for looks more but don't get me wrong the 650 is nice but the zx6r is more my type but yes I understand its a strong bike for a starter I am thinking but I do got some common sense when it comes to riding since I right now ride a ruckus soon to upgrade to gy6 150cc but the only thing is the ruck is auto & the bikes are manual but I do have the exp of knowing how to operate a manual car which is the same as a bike in my opinion kinda just I needa ease the clutch more to the right point on the bike and not throttle as much I think that's the main problem people have in crashing throttle to much and not good at making turns, and I have exp on the 2wheel vehicles so zx6r shouldn't be much of a problem for me right as a starter? I also decided to go Kawasaki now instead of Yamaha since I was always a fan of Yamaha r6's/r1's until I saw on the video they say the bikes are meant for short riders like me lol >_< and yes that's a must I will lower the bike to make me flat foot it if I can't & it will also make the bike look nice and im a very protective rider gears all day xD

A friend of mines he started on liter idk how he did it but that's the most dangerous thing
but yes thanks for your reply out of everyone else! first person to actually write back :]

Last edited by Kambo; 05-09-2012 at 08:27 AM.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:17 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

OK, Kam, I won't be pedantic and explain the nuances of using punctuation in a post. I find myself running out of breath when I read yours, though.

1stly, Listen to Drag^ when it comes to street and track. He's got serious cred.
2ndly, .....guys ride KAW's because they're cool. BUT,....if you get one......you're not allowed to crash; that makes us ALL look un-cool. (And we don't like that.) Sooooo, for a starter bike, buy one that you are COMFORTABLE on and not overwhelmed with. Repeat after me: "I am not Scott Russell,....I am NOT Scott Russell." Most importantly, get good gear during your learning phase. Hey, pain hurts........it hurts real BAD. Your "first bike" should be one which doesn't get you killed.

Welcome to the forums. We want you with us for a long time (provided you get that punctuation thing working.)

Last edited by jeffzx9; 05-09-2012 at 08:19 PM.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jeffzx9
OK, Kam, I won't be pedantic and explain the nuances of using punctuation in a post. I find myself running out of breath when I read yours, though.

1stly, Listen to Drag^ when it comes to street and track. He's got serious cred.
2ndly, .....guys ride KAW's because they're cool. BUT,....if you get one......you're not allowed to crash; that makes us ALL look un-cool. (And we don't like that.) Sooooo, for a starter bike, buy one that you are COMFORTABLE on and not overwhelmed with. Repeat after me: "I am not Scott Russell,....I am NOT Scott Russell." Most importantly, get good gear during your learning phase. Hey, pain hurts........it hurts real BAD. Your "first bike" should be one which doesn't get you killed.

Welcome to the forums. We want you with us for a long time (provided you get that punctuation thing working.)
I AM NOT SCOTT RUSSELL lol I am very sorry about that I am not good when it comes to sentences/punctuation's lmfao for some reason but thanks for the answers and yes no worries I will not cause the crash if I do crash but I know for a fact sometime in life an idiot will hit me or something that's the only way I would crash since I am a good driver/rider :P but, yes I might just go with the zx6r honestly I don't see starting with a 600 if a friend of mines with no exp started with a liter as soon as he got his endorse. I don't think it would be a bad idea to start with a 600 if your familiar with riding 2wheel vehicles like I said earlier im currently riding a Honda Ruckus soon to be 150cc :] haha

Old 05-09-2012, 09:56 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Get a KLX...FOR THE WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Name:  4f9a60e5.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  115.0 KB

Old 05-09-2012, 09:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
Get a KLX...FOR THE WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Deej, that is a great bike, but if you really want to have fun get one of these. I picked it up last year and dude its the bomb and the shiznit all rolled into one. Here is a picture of it.

Name:  IMG_0689.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  170.6 KB

hehehehe

Old 05-09-2012, 10:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Might be a good idea who knows a dirt bike could be fun

Old 05-09-2012, 10:03 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Its is a lot of fun I own both.....whoops I think I just gave it away. LOL

Old 05-09-2012, 10:27 PM